I HATE DELAWARES-THEY KILLED ELSA

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
So sorry!! Delawares are related to Rhode Island Reds and I won't have either!! RIR's are mean as dirt and I mean the hens as well as the roosters.
I really like my EE's and my EE mutts, but I am very fond of my (Silver Laced) Wyondottes. They hold their own and mine rule their roost over the 10 other hens, BUT, they are not vicious and don't attack other hens, just peck the others out of the way to get first dibs on treats.
They were freebies bc somebody I knew had been keeping chickens illegally and had to rehome them. We ate all of the others bc they were show birds and wouldn't lay well, and two were little roosters.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Delawares are good foragers, they range as far as the fence will let them. The Golden Comets I had wouldn't go very far from the coop and would only go far if we were working outside-they came up to see what we were doing. LOL Delawares lay a nice big brown egg, but they are so aggressive to each other and other chickens that they just aren't worth the headache.

they follow along to get things you stir up. good meaty grasshoppers, worms, bugs, weeds... :)

hope you have a fun day there...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
THat is HORRIBLE!!! I'm so sorry that you have had such an experience. And poor little Elsa. :hit I agree - 2 moults - they are plenty big enough to fill those jars now!
I have a friend who insisted on Delawares. She LOVED them. She also lost almost her entire flock over the winter that she started collecting/breeding them.... now I'm wondering if it WAS raccoons....
I also agree with whoever said that Speckled Sussex are friendly. I have both Sussex and wynadottes and LOVE them. Also have several bearded EE's that are sweeties.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
You could hold a trial ` build a gallows
upload_2018-5-2_8-8-12.jpeg
Lousy little rats ```

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry!! Delawares are related to Rhode Island Reds and I won't have either!! RIR's are mean as dirt and I mean the hens as well as the roosters.
I really like my EE's and my EE mutts, but I am very fond of my (Silver Laced) Wyondottes. They hold their own and mine rule their roost over the 10 other hens, BUT, they are not vicious and don't attack other hens, just peck the others out of the way to get first dibs on treats.
They were freebies bc somebody I knew had been keeping chickens illegally and had to rehome them. We ate all of the others bc they were show birds and wouldn't lay well, and two were little roosters.
I've only had 2 Rhode Island Reds and they were the sweetest, gentle, good laying hens. Right now I have 1 and she is just like that. All breeds have sweet and vicious chickens.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I first got chickens here I had Speckled Sussex and Delaware, along with Buff Orp and Black Australorp. The Sussex were the meanest with the Delaware not bad at all. So i agree with Mary, it's more the individual than the breed. And sometimes it takes one instigator to set them off.

But I also have pretty firm rule. If a chicken is disrupting the peace of the flock (other than normal chicken behavior such as you get with adolescents) they go in the freezer. Sounds like it is time.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
RIR's are mean as dirt and I mean the hens as well as the roosters.

Really? I have RIRs and while I definitely don't want to own them again (they eat too much! So greedy!) They certainly aren't mean. I successfully clicker trained one to do tricks, and the others just think I'm a giant rooster and keep offering themselves to me. :p I told them I'm married, but the flirts don't seem to care.