I hate grass!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well you certainly had a couple of bad experiences.
But there are thousands of wonderful ponies that kids are using today in showing and just as companion pleasure mounts who counter your blanket condemnation.

Same with goats. They are used not just for the obvious dairy animals, but also working as pack animals and brush control.

Like any other livestock their unique abilities need to be considered when fencing them in, and also handling them. I've personally owned dozens of goats and not once had such a negative experience as you describe.
images
3highline2007.jpg
Our county brings out several hundred goats to the hillsides where my cousin leaves. In one day they clear the entire area then are moved elsewhere. I love that they use this method. It is so quiet without having mowers making all that noise pollution.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was in Brazil we visited a little town in the mountains. Was where the summer palace for the royal family was, lots of tourist. In the town square where carts pulled by goats for sightseeing. One large goat could pull driver ( young boy) and 2 adults. I kind of felt sorry for the goats

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 2nd scotch broom died, cut them out.
=/

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@secuono, when they built the place here they left a lot of it as unmowed grasses/fields, but after they were done building they put down a few layers of thick black plastic and put rinsed crushed limestone over it to mulch. some areas they've used old carpeting.

20yrs later, some areas that get a lot of traffic need to be redone and places they didn't put down enough limestone to mulch can be issues. but overall it's been ok. once in a while an area will get dirt spilled on it and that lets weed seeds germinate so after i get sick of weeding it a few times i'll scrape it up and get the dirt out of there and put it back down. i've got a box set up now with a screen to make that process go faster. also to screen the stray gravel out of the gardens where it sometimes gets moved off pathways.

we don't have many trees dropping leaves on the mulch. the large white pine tree i'd like to remove along with the entire berm it is on, but can't get Mom to agree to that.

we're down now to about 5% of original grass field cover and i'd be quite happy to change that all over to gardens. not yet, but getting closer each season.

our other method to smother was to put down a few layers of cardboard, weed barrier fabric and then top with a good layer of wood chips. none of the colored ones last or look nice for long enough to make the expense worth it IMO.

for the sake of variety i would like to use something other than the rinsed crushed limestone, but that ship sailed years ago and in the longer term if i stick around i'll be removing a good portion of it and turning those pathways/spaces into gardens. it's a bit too sterile for my tastes. i'd like it to be more green even if it means more work weeding.

always can use more space for beans. :)

Latest posts