i have retarded beans

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got these wonderful beans from bluejay77. the plants grew with no beans what so ever. now, when fall is quickly approaching, they're finally blooming up a storm. I don't think there is time for them to develop. I can't figure out what happened to get this kind of time warp.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
BJ, can you make a frame of wood with clear plastic stapled to it to put over them before serious cool weather and frost hits?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the varieties I have did that too. Thankfully not one that I needed for the Little Easy Bean network...whew. They'll never make it in time. I'm thinking about digging up a couple and putting them in a large pot to baby in my sunroom. If they do make seeds, I will know to start them much earlier next year, maybe indoors.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi BJ !

Yep like Carol Dee said "The Weather" Once it cooled down the pollen in it's blossoms was more viable and then would set pods and produce seed eventually.

I sent you two butterbean varieties. Old Time Fence and J. Carrolls West Virginia. Did one of them not survive?

I don't think you will get your first frost probably until sometime in November. Your hardiness zone shows average first frost date to be between about November 11 to the 20th. Does that sound typical in your gardening experience where you live. So your beans still have about a month and a half to produce seed. I would just keep taking care of the plants and they very well might surprise you. This season will be a good learning experience in regards to beans in your climate. Sometimes the lima varieties look like they are not going to mature seed in time before cold weather kills them. Then all of a sudden you have pods that go from green to browning out and drying seed in about 4 days sometimes.

I had pole limas just starting to bloom in early August when some of my common bush bean and and common pole bean types were not far from drying pods with seed in them. Then just recently within the last few days I have started to harvest dry seed from every single lima variety I planted this year. Average first frost date here can be around the middle of October, and sometimes a little sooner.

Like Marshall said you could build a structure to cover them during the nights frost is theatening, or just throw something like sheets over the plants to protect them from frost at night. Then take the cover off during the day time hours.

I would be willing to bet you are going to get plenty of dry seed from the beans I sent to you.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I, too, had one variety of pole bean start setting fruit well after the rest of them were drying and near ready for pick'n. Not sure that was weather related see'n as they were growing within a few feet of each other and all were planted the same day.

By the way, RETARDED is politically incorrect these days. You should say your beans were "developmentally delayed" blah, blah, blah -- although we all knew what you meant.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:caf

Yes, that's right BJ!

Your Beans are:

REPRODUCTIVELY CHALLENGED

:bee

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love politically incorrect. :gig Retarded. Used to, when you said retarded, everyone knew what you meant. Now we beat the bush to death trying to be "nice" and not hurt any delicate feelings. BAH! :tongue It's ok BJ, I had a retarded rooster and no, he didn't have down's syndrome. :lol: