I just love my rooster

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear people talk about a rooster that crows for hours on end. Hurra lets fly with maybe 10 crows right at dawn and then hes done. And he has a very nice melodious voice - not at all screechy or insanely loud. Just 3 notes that sound to me like I seeeEEEE yooooooooou. Now of course, hell sound off if there is anything that he considers worth crowing about. Me walking around the coop before dawn will get a crow or two. Cars pulling into the drive... you know, dangerous things like that. But mostly hes pretty quiet for a roo.

Hes good to his girls, calling them over when he finds treats or bugs. Actually, he gets all jealous when Im there giving out treats and will do his Ive found a bug! dance and then pick up ANYTHING in an attempt to get them to pay attention to him. And hes watchful and protective of them. Hes always watching the sky and sounds the alarm if anything that he deems dangerous flies over.

I hear people talk about mean, nasty roos that attack - and even draw blood! Hurra is only 10 months old and is still testing his might against me. Every once in a while he will take a half hearted run at me. This always gets him caught, held down, and his head pecked with my fingers until he squawks like the little hens do when the big hens pick on them. When I let him up, he gives me a wide berth for a few weeks. I figure that all his young roo hormones will settle down in a few months.
He rules the roost, but I rule the rooster ;)

When I first got chicks, I swore I would not have a rooster. I said over and over that if any of them turn out to be roos, they were going to a neighbors house and being sent to freezer camp. Im so glad now that he was a stealth roo and kept his true identity secret until after I had fallen in love with him.

Such a funny, proud, awkward, lovely, silly bird.
8721_hurrashead.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine crow a whole lot more than that, sometimes starting at 4:30 in the morning. But being in the coop dampens that down and it's not a problem.

Some people hate hearing roosters, especially at 4:30 in the morning, especially in suburbia. Cant say Id blame them. But most of my neighbors out here are not close enough to be bothered. The closest one, an old man, told me he enjoyed hearing the crowing. It brought back childhood memories. He recently passed away from old age.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the reasons I have chickens is to listen to them crow. Mine are bantams so not loud. Always enjoy watching their antics. Mine are Wyandotte so not as ornery as wild or game are.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I loved all my past crows, none were ever mean to humans nor other birds. Some crowed all day, others freakishly early in the morning and others sounded horribly, with only a couple having a nice sound. But now I have 4 guinea hens that bicker all day long! they are so loud and always have something to squawk about. One of them even starts singing right at the crack of daylight and keeps at it until all the birds are awake and out of the coop...They are far louder than any rooster I've had. My ducks also made a huge racket, but they kept quiet until they saw me anywhere even in the house or heard me or the door/gates. I couldn't pass windows in my house or talk too loudly because they would all waddle over and chatter at me for food, and they could get very loud, especially if they hadn't been fed that day.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love guineas but WAY too loud. Go off when they see something and go off if they think they might see something

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, he sounds like such a nice guy! My zoning doesn't allow for roosters, so I have chickens only. I am always fascinated with the group dynamic. One or two of the chickens take on the role of rooster. They lead the way, and call out when they find a treat. Very interesting... No actual crowing, but as close as they can get!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
one of my hens started crowing last summer, but i think she stopped laying and since i kept them separated in the summer from my boys, she decided to take up that spot. :rolleyes: she never got loud about it but it sure was funny to walk out to the coop and hear that squawk of an attempt at crowing the first few mornings! :lol: i do love my boys and it is nice most of them get along well enough together. i do have a roo that loses his crow for a day or two, sounds like laryngitis because he still tries crowing but all that comes out is wind that sounds like he's trying to get the right notes. this has come and gone a couple times so far this winter. he's not showing any signs of sickness when it happens so i'm hoping that this could be genetic and any roos from his line have that too! :lol: he does screech at the top of his little bantam lungs so i could see it being laryngitis.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My very first rooster ever was a Buff Orpington named Oscar. He had the most obnoxious crow I had ever heard and it was non stop all day. Then I had an Easter Egger roo that never let out a single crow but was so mean to my girls when he mated with them. He tore one girl's neck right open, so it was off with his head! Then I got three Cuckoo Marans that were supposed to be hens and all 3 were roos. The smallest was very mean to me so he went to a friend's house. The biggest one named Cogburn was the best roo ever, but his big beautiful crow was too loud for our neighborhood...or so I thought. After I found a home for him and his other brother my neighbors kept asking me what happened to him and that they missed his crow :/ I felt stupid for getting rid of such a good boy and not asking my neighbors their thoughts first. Oh well, live and learn. At his new house he actually attacked a 3 year old girl and ripped out a bunch of her hair after she startled him early in the morning. So maybe it was for the best. I have a Salmon Faverolles rooster coming in April- I have high hopes for him!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
What kind of Rooster is Hurra Cane? He looks like the corn flakes rooster's cousin

Latest posts