I just love my rooster

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sad weekend. Hurra had gotten more and more aggressive over the last few weeks. I had to start taking a broom with me when I went into the run - and there was no such thing as sitting out with them anymore. I took him the to the swap this weekend. The yard is very, very quiet. :(

But - trying to find the smile - I have Benzo (the red/blue chick from a couple months ago) who is growing quickly and is certainly a male. And, of the 4 Hurra chicks that hatched over Memorial Day weekend, 2 are looking more and more like boys. So there will soon be crows ringing out in the mornings and afternoons again.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I ultimately had to end my Charlie. he was so hard on the hens he just couldn't stay. I now have several about 5 months. I will pick a roo out of that bunch to stay. I also have two babies of Charlie. I think one is a roo. I will ultimately decide between him and the other one I will keep.
I will be processing about half of my chickens in a week or two. it will be nice to get my numbers back down to a more manageable number.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Roosters can be such a PIA at times. They are beautiful, but can be aggressive. So far, on my bunch, I have had no human aggressive roosters. I had to cull one a few months ago, but he was only being too rough on the hens. That left 2 PR roosters, and one EE.
Now, in my new batch, hatched from a broody back in April, I am only positive I have 2 rooster of 7 chicks. I have 3 gray chicks, but as of right now, not sure if they are male or female. I am learning how to sex EE, as I suspect they are half. But not sure of the other half. Possibly half Plymouth Rock. I need to take pics sometime.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, so much for Spicey Boi keeping his head. he's on my short list for dinner. he's shown some aggression towards me and earlier today he made a move towards my dog which no other bird in my coop would even think to attempt, they're too busy looking for food or running from the dog to think about going after him. Spicey showed some aggression and would whack my hand if i got too close to him and momma when he was a chick, but i didn't give it much thought that it would stick around when he was older. guess i really need to take that as a warning sign of who needs to take a trip to freezer camp when they get big enough. i remember this happening with a few other cockerels my first year hatching chicks, but those went off to someone else for their freezer.

i have plenty of roos that will keep their heads and so far i don't plan on letting those sweet boys become dinner anytime soon. i'm sure the girls will not miss Spicey Boi, in fact they will probably be happy for 1 less boy chasing them around.

i think the only person that will miss Spicey would be my mail lady who always says he's pretty and doesn't want me to send him on his trip.

Latest posts