I just love my rooster

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's a black copper marans. A sweetie (most of the time) but not very correct for a marans.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah. the flaws are overlooked when they have a nice personality.

now you could have this little bugger! this is my Momo. small package but BIIIIG attitude! :lol:
6704_momofeb2013-01.jpg

watch your hands and anything else when he's around. especially if he's eying you from a distance while you're working in the coop or yard.

eta, he does leave me alone most of the time. it's just when he's having a day of being picked on he wants to be a bully over someone and that person is usually me! :/

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd end up with a roo in our last batch, but no such luck. :( we had one for a few years, but he died defending his hens from a dog. Never thought I'd miss a chicken, but there you go.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curly, someine recently mentioned she ordered a bunch of chicks and got a huge number of "packing peanuts" that were mostly boys, and was working on getting them to homes. Can't remember who, but if you aren't too far, you might get a baby rooster unless they are all gone. It was the past few days.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awww...Hurra sounds so sweet! We had to cull a roo yesterday, as he was tearing up the 4 hens we do have. They were getting naked spots.
Anyway, I have 3 good roos left. Papa roo is the main rooster of the little flock. He is good with his leadies and treats them all right. Then there is the EE roo. he is kind of in between. He tries to be bossy with the game hens, but they are getting tired of it I think. Then I have the one white roo left..twin to the one we culled. He is much nicer than his big brother roo we called "Noodles". I think I'll let him stay and see if he makes any baby chicks with the 3 game hens. They seem to like him better these days. They are all plymouth rocks, except for the 3 game hens I have.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Hurra is a good boy (most of the time).
I did have trouble with broken and missing feathers on the hens backs, and I've found out that I should have a ratio closer to 10 to 1 instead of 5 to 1 <hens to roo>. More or less to 'spread the love around'. I got the girls saddles so that he can't do anymore damage untill I can grow up a few more hens to keep him busy. :rolleyes:

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was thinking of making some saddles for my hens. Probably going to be a project for this week, as it looks like rainy days for a few. They were just naked in spots last week, and it rained and was cold. and we don't heat our coop. At all. They have to keep themselves warm. So I gave them some scratch, and pulled the offending rooster out Saturday morning. The other roos aren't near as aggressive. I think they are dividing amongst themselves, and I will eventually end up with 2 flocks anyway.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
If at all possible, use something waterproof or at least pourous enough to dry really fast (... feed bag maybe????). Mine were scotchguarded within an inch of thier little cloth lives and still get wet when the girls insist in hanging outside on rainy days. I worry when it's cold and wet that they're going to get chilled. It took me a good chunk of afternoon to get all of them in the saddles the first time so I don't imagine that I'll be dressing and undressing them according to the weather... :gig
Mine are pretty, but getting in need of a washing (dirty roo feet). I like them and don't regret buying them - but when it's time to replace, I'll be going for utility over beauty.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Possibly "chicken camo"? :lol: I was considering making them out of indoor/outdoor nylon fabric...to shed the rain like a raincoat, but still breathe. And be durable. I have a couple of good pieces of fabric like this that I can use to make them. I only found the pattern this past Saturday, and have yet to draw it out and measure the hens. Wash and wear to me, makes better sense then "pretty". After all, who else sees it but them?

Latest posts