I Know Why They are Called Chickens

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i know your problem with you eye and i certainly feel that same pain this week. one of my 3 month old pullets thought the corner of my eye was pretty and took a peck at it on Monday night. i ended up with a corneal abrasion on 50% of my eye, pain for a few days and blurryness that made me dread driving the 10-15 minutes to work and back. not to mention that the local pharmacy didn't have the eye ointment i needed nor called a competitor to see if they had it before sending me a couple cities over to get it! :/ lucky i have family across town that could drive me. and today the blurry eye has mostly cleared up. i have a followup appointment tomorrow to see how far it has healed.

btw, i gave Olivia the pullet a stern talking to and now she seems to avoid me. :p

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, I hear there are quite a few people who get pecked in the eye by a chicken. they are so quick, once they spot what they think is a goody to eat. Glad you are getting better. So far, I am not getting better. I got a different antibiotic today, so am still holding out a small hope for some improvement tomorrow. My sis who is an RN scolded me for not getting "a real doctor" to look at my eyes. Don't know why this eye clinic is so adverse to prescribing steroid drops for the pain, but they wont. I may go to a walk in clinic tomorrow if the pain is not better.
This is pretty much par for the course regarding my experience with doctors. They wont listen to you, don't take time to hear you out, prescribe the first thing that comes to their head, and make themselves unavailable if you have a problem afterward.
Sorry for the rant. Pain does that to me.:barnie

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW! This is something I have never heard of.
so lucky said:
Wow, I hear there are quite a few people who get pecked in the eye by a chicken. they are so quick, once they spot what they think is a goody to eat. Glad you are getting better. So far, I am not getting better. I got a different antibiotic today, so am still holding out a small hope for some improvement tomorrow. My sis who is an RN scolded me for not getting "a real doctor" to look at my eyes. Don't know why this eye clinic is so adverse to prescribing steroid drops for the pain, but they wont. I may go to a walk in clinic tomorrow if the pain is not better.
This is pretty much par for the course regarding my experience with doctors. They wont listen to you, don't take time to hear you out, prescribe the first thing that comes to their head, and make themselves unavailable if you have a problem afterward.
Sorry for the rant. Pain does that to me.:barnie

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope you are ok So Lucky. You haven't been on in 5 days now.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
There is nothing worse than eye pain (well I guess there is but its SO aggravating). I sure hope you are doing better. They think I got cleaner in one of my eyes (wasn't sure) but the entire white part was a big giant blister and when I would blink it would ooze up like a balloon between my eye lids. It burned and carried on so bag but I was on antibiotics and steroids but I tell you what, a slice of cucumber laid over the eye lid, ah that soothed that burning so bad!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes. I am doing much better, but still have a way to go. Thank goodness for the ability to increase the font on the computer!

Latest posts