Mrs Park's Crisp Pickle Slices
bread and butter type

In large kettle combine

4 qts cucumbers sliced thin
6 med. onions sliced thin
2 green peppers chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup kosher salt
cover with cracked ice; mix thoroughly; let stand 3 hours; drain well; remove ice
Combine 5 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 teasp tumeric
1 1/2 teasp celery seed
2 Tablesp mustard seed
Pour over cucumber mixture
Heat just to boil
Seal in hot sterilized jars: to sterilize jars, seals and lids wash in warm soapy water, rinse well, boil in water to cover jars for 10 minutes
If jars fail -can be refrigerated

edited to add that these are very crisp and if you sterilize the jars and it seals well they can last on the shelf for a year but in my house they dont last that long...

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I read somewhere that horse radish leaves and oak leaves can also keep pickles crisp, but I didn't bookmark the site.

If you can get your hands on the book "the joy of pickling" there are great recipes in there. My local library has it and I have checked it out a few rimes.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would like to try using grape leaves this year to make our pickles crisp. This morning while out in the woods with the dogs I spotted a vine that looks like wild grape but I'm not very good at plant identification. Do these leaves look like wild grape to you?

6653_dsc03185.jpg

6653_dsc03186.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They sure do look like wild grapes. Do you see some clusters of tiny, green grapes?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
They sure do look like wild grapes. Do you see some clusters of tiny, green grapes?
I don't see any clusters now but I seem to remember some last year. If I decide to try some leaves do I dry the leaves first or just pick 'em and use 'em green?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I must say my favorite is dill and mustard. Mmmm...
Thanks for the recipe! I used it today on cucumbers and hungarian wax peppers. My in-laws are visiting next weekend so we'll probably open the peppers and one jar of the pickles.

The recipe was enough for 7 pint jars. (I had to add a little water at the end, but the jar of peppers wasn't full and took extra liquid, so I think it would have worked out otherwise.)

I also used lesa's tip about the grape leaf -- I happen to have 'wild' muscadine grape vines here (the prior owner apparently relocated them and built them a trellis) so I just snipped off some leaves, rinsed them off and stuck them in the jars.

These poor cucumbers had been dehydrating under the ceiling fan in my kitchen for a week, so I'm not expecting much, but I'm glad I got to do *something* with them before they landed in the compost bin.

110626_5481 by wsmoak, on Flickr

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, you can use them fresh. Just rinse and stick in jar. When you dump the pickles (for serving) the leaf looks kind of ugly- so I just remove it. But, those pickles are crisp! I have one little cuke right now....

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've done any of this. Not nearly as daunting as I made it out to be. Things went pretty smoothly, although I'm sure it would have been a contender for "Americas Funniest Videos" if one was standing back watching. :ep I've never been one to stand on appearances anyway.

Here is the current Pickle Palace :weee
8239_bread_n_butter_71.jpg

Keeps the heat out of the kitchen. Between boiling water and the vinegar, definitely better in open air.

Using a slight variation on "momofdrew" recipe I got 7 beautiful pints
8239_bread_n_butter_71_2.jpg

In about a month and a half I'll let you know how they taste if I still have internet.

Thank you all for the recipes. This is only the start.

henry

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonderful! Love the outside kitchen-that really makes the whole process more bearable! Enjoy your pickles!

Latest posts