I need some tips.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As you all know it's been a while since I have had chickens. I tried to get them out into the run for a little while earlier today. Only about 10 of the 24 would go out. What have you done to get your chicks out side for the first time.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you mean out of their coop for the first time, into the run, you may have to physically put them there. I remember half grown chicks to be pretty .....well....chicken, for lack of a better term.
But, like Bay says, maybe next time just put their feed out in the run where then can see it.
You would think there would be some curious ones in the bunch, to take the lead. How old are they, Dew?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always just put them out there (with food & water). After the first time, they were anxious to get outside.
My problem has always been getting them to go back in at night... :rantcrawling up in there and tossing them in the door to the light... day after day.. always one that takes a week or more to 'get it'.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@dewdropsinwv - I agree with others here on setting the food out and just giving it some time. Curious chickens will be wary, but go out first. The others will follow when they have time to realize it is safe!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I finally got them out side the saftey of their coop. Now they are going out pretty much on their own. It's pretty funny to see them come out while I'm in the run with them. If I leave the run, they all go back inside, but eventually go back out on their own with out me being there.
The weather was nice for a few days, but it's turning to garbage again tonight, cold rain and snow showers for tomorrow. I let them out for a little while today, before the rain started. Once it started raining I shooed them back in the coop so I wouldnt have to mess with them in the pouring rain.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you mean out of their coop for the first time, into the run, you may have to physically put them there. I remember half grown chicks to be pretty .....well....chicken, for lack of a better term.
But, like Bay says, maybe next time just put their feed out in the run where then can see it.
You would think there would be some curious ones in the bunch, to take the lead. How old are they, Dew?
@so lucky I used some meal worms to get them outside. As for their age, I'd say about a month and a half, they are mostly feathered out.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a bunch of youngsters once that just followed their body guard around. :lol:

IMG892.jpg
IMG892.jpg

Latest posts