Ice Cream Maker!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
I'm with you Lesa. I too think I would gain weight and I work too hard to keep it off. I've never tasted homemade ice-cream! But I believe all of you when you say it's delish! Boy, there's a lot of things that I haven't tasted homemade. Like homegrown chicken, pickles, canned green beans, and so forth. :/

Mary
Yikes! Really? Remind Dew or I around early August and we'll send you some canned beans, dill pickles, peach jam and grape jelly all fresh from the garden. I don't think chicken or ice cream would travel well though. Everything you mentioned is part of our everyday diet.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Seriously? Home made ice cream in 20 minutes? That is a recipe for disaster. Disaster for my hips that is! The farmer and I frequent a local home style ice cream stand at least once a week. If I could make my own in 20 minutes I would look like a snow man in no time.

Please enjoy that ice cream maker for me. (I'm sure I will cave and get one some day!)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, I've lived a very shelter life! :lol: I remember a couple years ago, Journey mentioned that she canned venison that her husband hunted! I was so impressed. I asked if it was good and she said it was delicious.

Mary

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
I want an ice cream maker!! I am deathly afraid to get one... I am sure we would end up 100 pounds overweight! I have never tasted anything as delicious as home made ice cream! Enjoy!
i'm afraid too. there's not much better than home made ice cream w/fruit like peaches or strawberries - or any thing

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wonder if the duck eggs make it richer ice cream?

I LOVE homemade ice cream! When we got married my wife received a KitchenAide mixer and I received the ice cream attachment for it! Basically its a bowl that you put on and its frozen. Ingredients get mixed up, into the bowl they go, and you've got ice cream. Best part is with the uncovered lid you can check for consistency.

Ninny you should make a food tour of TEG! Make sure to stop at our house to eat. Homemade pickles, sauce, salsa, TONS of canned fruit, beans, jam, and lots of wild game in the freezer. Next couple of years Ill have homemade wine, and some mushroom cultures too :woot

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, that sounds wonderful! I've always wished I could see everyone's gardens. Especially those of you that have lots of space. Having only experienced city yards, I can't imagine what it's like to have all that space. :rolleyes: I think just looking at them is very peaceful.

Mary

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
how do you know how much to churn and how much is too much?
I will volunteer to be a taste tester too! me me :ya
If that's the same one I have (looks like it!) then it hold 3 cups of liquid plus some 'mix-ins' like chocolate chips. If you are using a lot of fruit, then reduce the liquid. Once it churns, it's about a quart of ice cream. Any more than that and it will start coming out the top and make a mess!

I have not progressed past the basic vanilla recipe in the instruction book: 2 cups heavy cream, 1 cup milk, 1 Tbsp vanilla extract, 3/4 cup sugar (I usually only use 1/2 cup) and a pinch of salt.

Mix, pour, endure 20-25 minutes of awful noise, and then scrape it out and put it in the freezer for a few hours to harden. (No, it's really *not* ready in 20 minutes, unless you like melted ice cream.)

One of these days I'll try a custard recipe...

-Wendy

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm using Duck Egg Yolks (not even the whole egg) talk about RICH! I'm going to die fat and happy with this thing.

Thank you Monty for the recipes. I'll have to cut them back a bit, this only does 1.5 quarts at a time. But they look fabulous and I hope cutting them in half doesn't affect the flavor. I'm sure you can't wreck ice cream!

As for the 20 minutes, its like soft serve. If you want it firmer, just pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes and OMG perfect ice cream. :D

Latest posts