Ice Tea

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With Summer upon us, virtually everywhere in the Northern Hemisphere, I thought I would check on an appropriate beverage for the Summer Days and would appreciate your ideas on this.

1. Do you make Sun Tea?
2. Does your Ice Tea start out Hot Brewed?
3. If you enjoy ready-to-drink Ice Tea, which do you choose:

A. ready-to-drink Lipton
B. ready-to-drink Pure Leaf
C. ready-to-drink Snapple
D. ready-to-drink Gold Peak
E. Other?
4. In your household, do you call it:
A. Ice Tea
B. Iced Tea?
I thought to use the Poll format but couldn't figure out how to ask multiple questions ...

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With Summer upon us, virtually everywhere in the Northern Hemisphere, I thought I would check on an appropriate beverage for the Summer Days and would appreciate your ideas on this.

1. Do you make Sun Tea?

A. ready-to-drink Lipton
E. Other?
A. Ice Tea
B. Iced Tea?
I thought to use the Poll format but couldn't figure out how to ask multiple questions ...

Steve
1. On occasion, but I usually don't have the patience to wait that long.

2. Sort of. Since I tend to drink oolongs(which need a lower temperature to brew than black teas) I usually just use the hot water from the tap; I don't boil it (on those rare occasions when we are out of hot water, I take some cold water and microwave it for a little.) Actually I do that even for black teas now, since I have found that, the cooler the water you use, the less bitter the tea is (finer green and white teas you almost have to do at room temperature, or even chilled) .

3. That's actually a very good question. I'm not a big fan of any of the major bottled tea brands, so the answer would be "E", but if you asked me which ones I DID like, I'd actually have to think for a while. Most of the brands I REALLY like have long since gone out of production (T42, Golden Teahouse, etc.) and others I have fallen out of love with (Sweet Leaf, Argo).

I could say Calypso, but I really am more fond of their lemonades than their iced teas (I'll DRINK the peach one, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to get.) There's a Hawaiian herbal one I found a few weeks ago whose hibiscus rose I found quite pleasant, but I don't remember the name (and all of the bottles got recycled last week, so I can't go and look it up. Had a logo of a hand doing the "shaka" sign.) Most new brands I try once and never again. Lipton's Brisk I CAN'T drink (assuming it's the same as the stuff they used to put in cans) because I have an allergic reaction to it (it makes my saliva get all thick and mucus-y) I kind of like Galvani Peach, but that is somewhat hard to come by (basically, I'd have to go to NYC to find it). I used to LOVE Sobe Oolong (I even still have and use their promotional key rope) but again, I don't think they make that anymore.

4. Good question, I honestly don't know. I guess I switch back and forth depending on what the person I'm ordering from says. I always thought it was a little funny that, in Spanish, "Ice Tea" is Te Helado, when Helado on its own usually means "ice cream" (ice is hielo). But I didn't make the language rules.

Actually after all this talk, I think I'll go and make myself some tea now. Probably Greek Shepherd's tea, as I don't need to stay up late and so need no caffeine.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

1. Do you make Sun Tea?

A. ready-to-drink Lipton
E. Other?
A. Ice Tea
B. Iced Tea?

Steve
Well! I've just learned that I actually say "Ice Tea" even though I think I'm saying "Iced Tea" because I do not enunciate the "d". At all. The "d" is completely silent. Who knew? Is that a regional thing, like "pop" vs "soda"?

Ready-to-drink Iced Tea is something I rarely have; only when out and about. It's a Japanese brand and I do not recall the name. Of the ones listed, it's Pure Leaf.

My Iced Tea starts off as hot brewed.

I've made Sun Tea, but my cold brew needs are usually spontaneous.

At least I can enunciate in print. 😄

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i hardly ever drink ice tea or iced tea (i don't usually like ice in my drinks unless it is ice cream). perhaps once a year.

no i don't drink commercial versions. i've tried one just once and it was a big pass. if i were to want a sweet tea cold beverage i'd make my own as it would be a lot less expensive.

most common drink for me here is water. plain. no ice. no sugar. no coloring.
second most common drink is milk.
third most common drink is hot chocolate in the cooler weather.
fourth most common drink would be hot teas of herbal kinds or even powdered ginger and some brown sugar.
fifth most common drink would be fake coffee which technically would fall in the entry just above this one. :)

i used to drink a lot of hot tea but found out my caffiene tolerance was declining and eventually found out that i slept way better if i limited how much caffiene i was getting. i still did like all the flavors i could find in loose leaf teas and drank them as swamp water (put loose leaf tea in big mug and then pour near boiling water over them and let them steep forever as i was drinking them, could add more hot water if i wanted more until it got too weak to taste anything. any floaters would get strained out in my teeth or moustache).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
009E1FFD-54CB-464B-A0B5-DADF132D1AD0.jpeg
:D No, I am not inclined to put ice in a drink ... except the possibility of having something at a restaurant.

An important thing right now is to stay hydrated. I try to do that all year ;). Honestly, I'm using drinks to motivate me to get to something. "Finish that job and you can have a cup of coffee. Okay, you have your drink in hand off you go on that trip to somewhere ... that you probably aren't all that interested in, anyway."

Summer and Outdoors, I think often of drinking something. Body functions can kinda shut down and it starts well before heat stroke. I learned a new word this morning, "mentation." ha! The spell checker doesn't know it ... Anyway, the doctor on teevee used the word referring to one of the symptoms of heat stroke. The person isn't mentating normally. Thinking clearly.

No ice cubes in the fridge but everything is cold in there or in the cooler that often goes with me. I drink a bottle of Gatorade every Summer day, on average. I like ice tea but have to keep caffeine and should keep sugar intake down. The 10 or 12 ounces of water that I drink daily is with a certain amount of reluctance. The mineral content is high in all of our well water and then the water district puts chlorine in it. Yuck! I understand the need but I'm very happy to use it once heated to make something else to drink!

Steve
enjoying his 3rd cup of herbal tea (5th cup of liquids so far today) while finishing the morning watering of plants in the yard

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Pretty funny cartoon @digitS' !! :gig
1. Do you make Sun Tea?
Not anymore. Right now my 2 sun tea jars are full of stored flour, with the expiration date labelled.
Our family drinks priMARILY iced tea. DH need decaf. DD's and I use this recipe:
a) 2 Constant Comment tea bags
b) 3 family sized black pekoe
We still use a tea maker, which is right now getting clean by running white vinegar through it.
A. ready-to-drink Lipton
E. Other?

Not really, but infrequently
A. Ice Tea
B. Iced Tea?

Iced Tea

Last edited:

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’ve only tried the sun tea method once. I wasn’t fond of it.

We do the hot brew method

E. Other. We drink Milos tea. It’s a regional brand based on the southeast. I know they’ve expanded some but I’m not sure how far that is.

I honestly have no idea which I say. I’ll have to try to listen to myself at work tomorrow and see If I can tell.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pretty funny cartoon @digitS' !! :gig
1. Do you make Sun Tea?
Not anymore. Right now my 2 sun tea jars are full of stored flour, with the expiration date labelled.
Our family drinks priMARILY iced tea. DH need decaf. DD's and I use this recipe:
a) 2 Constant Comment tea bags
b) 3 family sized black pekoe
We still use a tea maker, which is right now getting clean by running white vinegar through it.
A. ready-to-drink Lipton
E. Other?

Not really, but infrequently
A. Ice Tea
B. Iced Tea?

Iced Tea
Wait, we're allowed to give recipes? In that case, here's my old one from before my trip to the hospital (after I got back, there was a period when I didn't know about stevia, and was afraid of artificial sweeteners, so I was trying completely sweetener free, and it was too bitter for me then (and even if it wasn't, I became paranoid about the amount of carbs I was getting from the squeeze of citrus juice*) By the time I HAD found about about stevia, my tea tastes had changed and I found those teas too astringent for me (plus, I only recently had the courage to re-try bergamot, and find it it DOESN'T do anything to my meds).
NOTE: Some of these ingredients you will probably have to order online if you don't live in a big city, or else REALLY have to shop around.)

1. Fill a large bowl (about a gallon or so) with hot (NOT BOILING) water.

2. Add 10 bags of Foojoy Royal Kwan Yin/Tikwanyin (I'm still not sure if this is the same stuff under two different names) tea. (remove paper tags from all tea bags first, so they don't get into the water_

3. Add 5 bags of a good quality Earl Grey Tea (my brand varied depending on what I could get my hands on, but you want a STRONG one with LOTS of bergamot.)

4. Stir with a large spoon, pressing the bags against the sides of the bowl from time to time until the tea turns reddish (alternatively, if you are a real pain junkie, you can stick your hand into the bowl, grab the tea bags and squeeze them, bearing in mind the water will still be VERY hot.)

5. Pour into pitcher though strainer. Discard tea bags

6. Add the juice of 2 freshly squeezed Key limes.

7. Add sugar or other sweetener to taste.

8. Pour into glass filled with ice

9. Drink.

*We are talking about a time when I was counting the carb content of my morning PILLS as if it was a major part of my morning calorie intake (if not the entirety). In fact, even when I DID start using stevia, I almost immediately switched to the liquid version when I found out that the powered version had a tiny bit of actual sugar (not even a half a calorie worth) to make it pour. I STILL use liquid in my beverages (though I keep some powdered around as well, for when one is baking and doesn't want additional liquid.)

Latest posts