ID caterpillar?

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Zig spiders? I didnt know what they are called, I have lots of them in my garden. their spider webs freaked me out !!! Interesting about colors of caterpillars. I dont think they are true when it comes to predicting weather .But I could be wrong ! few weeks ago I was plague with black and yellow wooly caterpillars, they disappeared as the weather got cooler.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just read about what and where that tale of the wolly bear caterpillars came from. it seems that the WB comes out of it's egg in the spring and they will over winter in their caterpillar stage, actually a type of hibernation when they will freeze solid and then come back to life in the spring! then they will become a cocoon and become a drab looking tan moth that summer.
http://www.almanac.com/content/predicting-winter-weather-woolly-bear-caterpillars

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had the bad fortune to have been stung twice by caterpillars. The first was a Lo moth on a blackberry bush, the second was a saddleback while I was pulling the corn plants. The saddleback was by far the worst! After the saddleback got me, I carefully checked the corn and found dozens of them throughout the patch. I waited a few weeks and they were gone. That was the only year I ever saw them in the corn, but I'm careful to look for them every year now. It felt like I rubbed my hand on a prickly pear then lit it on fire.

Latest posts