[ID'd thanks] Little White Flower, Annual

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.anthive.com/project/weeds/

p5090006_Spring_Whitlow_Grass_thm.jpg

trying to find this one online but no luck so far. it can be so tiny that many other plants will easily overgrow it, which is why i don't consider it a real problem at all. i like that it flowers early and grows in very poor sandy soils and other tough spaces, but Mom doesn't like it so i've had to get after it to keep it knocked back this season.

note that plant on the right of the picture is tiny, but i've been pulling thousands of these that are even smaller, like they have a few leaves and one seed at the top and that's it. whole plant might be 3mm across and 2cm tall and that seed at the top will be so large in comparison.

i always find such things interesting. :) anyways, i'm hoping to find out what the name is and any other info. like if that seed capsule at the top contains more than one seed. can't tell as of yet...

yes, i really wish i had a microscope...

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.anthive.com/project/weeds/

p5090006_Spring_Whitlow_Grass_thm.jpg

trying to find this one online but no luck so far. it can be so tiny that many other plants will easily overgrow it, which is why i don't consider it a real problem at all. i like that it flowers early and grows in very poor sandy soils and other tough spaces, but Mom doesn't like it so i've had to get after it to keep it knocked back this season.

note that plant on the right of the picture is tiny, but i've been pulling thousands of these that are even smaller, like they have a few leaves and one seed at the top and that's it. whole plant might be 3mm across and 2cm tall and that seed at the top will be so large in comparison.

i always find such things interesting. :) anyways, i'm hoping to find out what the name is and any other info. like if that seed capsule at the top contains more than one seed. can't tell as of yet...

yes, i really wish i had a microscope...

i should add that the flowers are four sets of two petals

^^
< >
< >
vv

next to each other and not a round or even spaced pattern.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have a look at this site and see what you come up with. If it's not on there, I'll be surprised! Ava's on year 3 of her 4-H Wildflower project and it has been an invaluable resource for us. You can set the parameters to greatly narrow down your search. The chickweeds have doubled petals like that, but since you say it has only 4, Spring Whitlow Grass sounds like a good possibility. There are so many little white flowers!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have a look at this site and see what you come up with. If it's not on there, I'll be surprised! Ava's on year 3 of her 4-H Wildflower project and it has been an invaluable resource for us. You can set the parameters to greatly narrow down your search. The chickweeds have doubled petals like that, but since you say it has only 4, Spring Whitlow Grass sounds like a good possibility. There are so many little white flowers!

thank you! that site is a big improvement over others for sure. :) bookmarked...

yes, that looks like it, funny name for a plant that looks nothing like a grass to me. :)

i'll have to update my pages now with the right name. [done :) ]

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That website is really good. I bookmarked it. I have the Missouri Wildflowers book, but I think the pictures are clearer on the website.