Ideas for melon trellis?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going to plant some melons today and I'm just thinking of what to make my trellis out of, since this will be my first year growing them on a trellis. I'm not sure what I can use, would bamboo be fine, then netting tied onto it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greenthumb, this memory was prompted by the recent question about growing burpless cukes on a trellis. I think I'll just mention it; not that I think it would be the greatest idea for you, but because this will bump your question back up to the top where others can see it and take a better shot at it than I can . . .

I build trellises for the peas and for the beds of cut flowers - beyond that

:idunno

Anyway, my old gardening neighbor used to make a cucumber trellis by bending a cattle panel to 90. He would then lay this roof-like structure on the ground and plant cucumber seed on both sides of it. The vines would climb over the top and make a big, green mound :cool:!

I did notice that he had to pick the cukes on his knees, reaching in and under the vines. I don't know what happened to those panels - the new resident makes no use of them. They were extremely sturdy, all by themselves.

Steve

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have used chickenwire stapled to a wooden fence. That works pretty good.

This year I am using the side panels from a baby crib someone was thowing away.
Today I used some wire to attach it to a brick wall near the storage room.
Tomorrow I plant to plant some cucumbers to grow up the new "trellis".

For years I have used the side panels of a "Portacrib" for a Square Foot Garden trellis. Those side rails work great!!

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We've always struggled to grow watermelons up north here, since our growing season isn't always long enough for the melons to mature. Last year, my husband build a portable planter w/ trellis for the "sugar baby" melons we wanted to grow. This way, we can start them in the greenhouse, move them outside when it's warm enough, and then move them back into the greenhouse in the fall if they still need a little more time.

MelonTrellis2.jpg

We used strips of cloth to tie the melons up in a kind of sling. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but maybe it will at least give you some ideas. Good luck finding something! :)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I built a few trellises last week/weekend. I don't have melons planted on them, but they might give you some ideas anyway...

Cucumbers
6a00d8341c2d2753ef014e8898478c970d-800wi

More Cucumbers (I will snip some of the wire sections when it comes time to pick, to make some 4x4" holes in the wire. This wire will be used again next year, so I'm not worried about making "holes" in the fencing).
6a00d8341c2d2753ef014e88984ca3970d-800wi

Pole Beans (This is a little over 8' tall)
6a00d8341c2d2753ef0154328242f6970c-800wi

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daisy's 2nd trellis is like my neighbor's.

He used the heavy cattle panels and they could have been bent in an arc instead of at 90. I can't quite imagine how the old fellow bent them but he is a resourceful, retired elementary school teacher.

Bending could have involved his station wagon . . . :rolleyes:

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Calendula- that is a great idea! At what stage were those melons planted in the pic?
Greenthumb- is a space issue for you? Are you growing these in NY, or at your place down south? I have never trellised melons. Our growing season is so short- they don't really have a chance to get out of control...

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks lesa, my husband is very handy. That picture is of last year's melons. We started these melons from seed in the greenhouse and moved them to the trellis box once they were big enough to be transplanted. That picture was taken in August I think, so the melons were about halfway there.

that_crazy_lady

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My dad bends stock panels into tubes to fill with leaves & brush to burn. He takes a rope, laces and pulls it together like you would when lacing your shoe. So I would thank if you could get one end down tite, you could then pull the other down. I doubt I could do eather buy my self.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks so much for everyone's replies, I appreciate it ;) . I have an idea now of what to use for my melon trellis. I'll have to take a picture of the melon bed, there is this fence near there, I could maybe just let them grow onto that.

lesa,
Yes I'm growing these melons in NY, that's why I want to try having them grow up on the trellis for better success.

Latest posts