Identify Plant - Volunteer

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, one of the fun things about having a LOT of compost that didn't get hot enough to kill all the sees is that we get a LOT of volunteers.

Here's a sample of one that is all over our raised bed (about 15 of them):

2_plant.jpg

Looks to be some kind of squash or melon?

What do you think it is?

Oh, and what do you do with your volunteers?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it would be a squash. Doesn't quite look like melons. But who knows.

We have a small corner of the yard where we transplant anything that we aren't sure of what it is. We call it the mystery garden. It's always a fun thing in the fall.

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A man that I know has a nice size compost pile and he had two peach trees come up in it last year. They are growing nicely now and he planted them in the yard. Do you think they will ever get peaches on them?

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I was hoping it was a squash (zuke or yellow).... trying to remember what we've put in the compost bin over the past year. :D

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Depending what you planted, (open pollinate, or not, for example.) it may, or may not, run true to the parent plant. It'll be interesting to find out, though! :)

calee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think squash, not a cuke.

You didn't put any whole pumpkins in your compost pile did you? I've never had seeds from zucchini or crookneck squash trimmings survive the heat, but I had lots of pumpkin volunteers after composting a whole pumpkin from Halloween once. :lol:

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am thinking some type of squash.

I had several volunteer mystery tomato plants come up in my garden. I put some in a row and let my neighbor have the rest. It could be roma, cherry, rutger or bigboy tomatoes because a good bit of each were thrown to my chickens last year.

Latest posts