If you had to choose.....need an opinion

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe a local beek would put a hive on your property. It would be beneficial to you due to the increased pollination, and also to them, due to the extended range of the bees, thus more varied pollen. (?) If the beek is friendly, maybe you could learn the skill from them.
I am pretty sure my honey supplier has hives at local orchards and farms. Don't know what the arrangements are, but I am sure it is beneficial to both.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a couple "wanted" ads on my Craigslist, of people looking for places to set up a hive... that is a great idea! Would give you a little practice run- and I am sure the beekeeper would be glad to share info.

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would vote for the greenhouse first too. Also, in lieu of honeybees, you could consider providing nesting boxes/shelters for native bees. They tend to be more docile than honey bees, no honey to deal with and they are super efficient pollinators.

Kathy

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
Lets imagine that you didn't have either of these, and you had to decide which one you'd put in first on your property. The goal is to have both, but given the costs to do each one right it would be a couple of years before you could get the other one.

Cost isn't the issue I'm trying to decide which one would be more beneficial and that's the one Id have first. So I figured Id toss it out to you folks and see what you think.

Bee hive or greenhouse. I have a big garden roughly 2000sq ft. So its tough to start enough plants indoors to do the garden justice. I need a greenhouse. I also know that I could boost my production if I were to get bees.

I want bees because the pollinate, not for honey. I don't want gallons of honey, or have any desire to sell it. I'd give some away at the holidays as gifts but thats really it. I know if I got serious I could use one to help finance the other but that's time that I really don't have/want to commit to selling at the Farmers Market.

Thats the debate. I know the benefits of both but I can't decide which one to focus on. Both are projects in the future, right now I'm still in the learning stages and figured Id toss it out there.

So what would you put in first?
I would vote greenhouse. I have no problem with natural pollination. Bee keeping is expensive to start up and a lot of work. The first thing my husband and I did as poor newly weds was build a greenhouse. It has given me 30 years of joy. I now have a second tunnel greenhouse used for elongating the season at both ends.

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We did greenhouses first and now have bee hives too. I could'nt imagine going back to not having a greenhouse. We have 3 now and that truly is'nt enough space. You will love it! :watering I am a newbie beekeeper, but am really enjoying the learning process and watching the colony grow. :bee

Happy planting,
Christie :coolsun