If you want something done right...

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Both the dresses pictured were hand sewn while waiting for the sewing machine. The sewing machine came late last night and I tried it this morning.

It took me all day to sew two hems. I can't sew any of the tight curves required. I can't imagine how they expect me to pin stuff in place while also having room to sew. Even if it just does the hemming though I think it will save a lot of time.

My mom, the seamstress, used to sew a lot of wedding and bridesmaid dresses. One day while she was stitching away I decided to create my own Barbie accessories, starting with a wedding veil. Problem was that the fabric that I found was an actual bridal veil, and I cut a perfect circle out of the middle of it. I also decided to iron my Barbie's bathing suit one day, pressing on it as though I were making a grilled cheese sandwich. Well, it melted and filled all of the steam vents on her good iron with molten polyester. I got a firm scolding for each of those creative endeavours. ☺️

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
OMG, DD's gave their middle sister a full bolt of muslin (for Christmas) specifically for "mock ups."
Mock ups are where you cut the pattern, or create a pattern, then fit it to your frame.
Essentially you baste stitch the garment, measure and cut and put it on and off until you are satisfied with the fit, then the mock up pieces (which should have been marked) becomes your New pattern and you use That for cutting into the real fabric.
Muslin doesn't have much stretch, just on the bias.
Some seamstresses use a sharpie and mark through pattern pieces to the mock up fabric, so that they can save ALL sizes of the pattern, and only cut the mock up fabric.
Some cosplayers, like this girl in Germany, creates a pattern for cosplay armor by wrapping herself in duck tape for the correct fit, then she cuts it, and creates the armor pattern from That.
I could get a link from one of her videos from DD's, if you want.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG, DD's gave their middle sister a full bolt of muslin (for Christmas) specifically for "mock ups."
Mock ups are where you cut the pattern, or create a pattern, then fit it to your frame.
Essentially you baste stitch the garment, measure and cut and put it on and off until you are satisfied with the fit, then the mock up pieces (which should have been marked) becomes your New pattern and you use That for cutting into the real fabric.
Muslin doesn't have much stretch, just on the bias.
Some seamstresses use a sharpie and mark through pattern pieces to the mock up fabric, so that they can save ALL sizes of the pattern, and only cut the mock up fabric.
Some cosplayers, like this girl in Germany, creates a pattern for cosplay armor by wrapping herself in duck tape for the correct fit, then she cuts it, and creates the armor pattern from That.
I could get a link from one of her videos from DD's, if you want.
Yes please!! The videos are very informative. I appreciate you sharing them. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule and @ducks4you do you know how to tell the sewing machine to slow down? I'm making great progress with the sewing machine, but this problem has stumped me.

If the sewing machine is going at a slow or moderate pace, I can keep it in line with what I want to do and handle the curves easily. Unfortunately, it seems to be 0 to 100, and only slows down after going super speed. I've tried pressing sloooowly on the petal but it just remains stopped until it hits a certain point, then goes super fast, then slow when you release the petal.

Any tricks for getting it slow/medium right off the bat?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Slide the sewing speed controller to the left or right to select the desired sewing speed. - Sliding the sewing speed controller to the left will sew at a slower speed. - Sliding the speed controller to the right will sew at a faster speed.
Also,
I have not ever had this problem, BUT, on a recent sewing program the expert mentioned the value of slowing down the speed, but didn't tell how to do so. It had to do with control.
Personally, the more I sew, the more Hand sewing I end up doing bc of precision.

Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Slide the sewing speed controller to the left or right to select the desired sewing speed. - Sliding the sewing speed controller to the left will sew at a slower speed. - Sliding the speed controller to the right will sew at a faster speed.
Also,
I have not ever had this problem, BUT, on a recent sewing program the expert mentioned the value of slowing down the speed, but didn't tell how to do so. It had to do with control.
Personally, the more I sew, the more Hand sewing I end up doing bc of precision.
You are my hero!!! I think the sewing machine is a godsend for hemming and other work that is grindy, but I'm still hand sewing those tiny barbie sleeves, bunched skirts, and other details. I want to start making Genshin Impact outfits for the dolls for my own entertainment, but sewing is so hard right now.

Latest posts