I'm Moving and Taking my Apple Trees with Me

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think thistle has the best course of action for you. Digging and transplanting will stunt them for at least a year if not more. We planted apple trees at our old house and just left them there a year ago when we moved. Went by there 1.5 months ago and all three had apples on them this year. We just planted new trees when we settled here, so a few more years until they will fruit. Good luck with the move.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think thistle has the best course of action for you. Digging and transplanting will stunt them for at least a year if not more. We planted apple trees at our old house and just left them there a year ago when we moved. Went by there 1.5 months ago and all three had apples on them this year. We just planted new trees when we settled here, so a few more years until they will fruit. Good luck with the move.

Yeah, no matter what they have another year or two until they fruit but I'd be sad to leave them behind and have to start over with baby trees again.

Sprig, I understand your thoughts on potting them up, I was describing what I'd do under ideal conditions. Ideal conditions can be a rare thing most times. And yes, take a shovel all the way around the tree, severing the roots beyond a reasonable root ball. Even if you're planning on potting them up, I think this is a good idea to do in the months before the actual digging.
It's what some tree plantations practice.

Thanks. I'll do that in the coming month then.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I like buying new trees, but I have had almost 100% success repotting, planting in a garden bed in the Fall, HEAVILY mulching and then planting in the Spring. My failure was with a pot that did not have drainage and that tree didn't make it. ALL of the other 4 fruit trees are alive and thriving. You MUST dig deeper and wider that the pot and fill THAT with mulch or newspaper to insulate. The pots will cost you maybe $40-$50 or maybe less IF you can find them on clearance. Your window for them may have past, and you can buy new trees for probably less than that, so it's your choice. Good luck!
I don't like planting in the Fall because trees don't have enough time to grow roots past the 18 inches of hard freeze that we get here.
Btw, I put a clearance palm in that pot, grew it at the office, didn't notice until our office move 2 weeks ago that it had gotten really full, like 4 ft wide and ended up giving it away, pot and all to somebody else at an office at our new place. The palm cost me $3.50 bc Lowe's had given up on it. All I did was fill it with soil that retains water and heavily watered it every time I walked by it.

Latest posts