I'm so upset... I won't be able to make a green balcony this year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Silkie, I'm impressed with your energy and ambition, GOOD WORK!!
Sorry about your garden situation this season, but won't next year be wonderful!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Poultry Science, right Silkie'?

You will be OSU's next James Dryden!

Wow! Now, you gotta know what is most important in your life - I mean, other than your family, and all. Plant's a plant . . . Dry them nicely, stuff a pillow.

;)

Your environment - your special environment - this summer: Maybe it could be up past Sweet Home on the Santiam River . . . huh? Some place quiet, with a picnic table and skeeter spray?

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Silkie,
Can you get permission to grow the garden on the rooftop?

I have had 4 gardens on a fire escape when I lived in an apartment. I was seriously going to expand to the roof, but instead moved. Perhaps if you talk with the owners or the property manager you'd get permission for a roof garden.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
woop, I take the rooftop garden idea back. I just now read about the leaking and engineering problems with the roof. Roof garden, bad idea in this circumstance. Folks suing each other, stand back, make like invisible...lawyers n stuff...

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I am trying to make near invisible... but did talk with the operations manager for the project and the guy is nice. We'll see what we can do about the plants on the balcony. I've moved everything in as far as I could for the first stage of surveying.

Oh, and I'm getting a degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology, doing work in a pharmaceutical science lab, working on development. So no future Dryden here. Speaking of The Santiam and Sweet Home though... I'll have to escape to Clear Lake McKenzie river more often this summer. Chase crawdads and brook trout. Or go to the ocean more to catch crabs and dig clams to get out the gardening energy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh that McKenzie River! Such a beautiful place, they named a boat for it - used all over the West:

boat.JPG

Won't surprise you that my experience with that river is coming downstream - over the hill from Sisters, Oregon . . . on the McKenzie Highway :). No, that has never been in the river, on a drift boat but it has been a lovely trip.

Water can replace garden, I think. At least the reverse has been true for me. Yes, gardening has seriously cut into my fishing time.

Steve ;)

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember when I saw the McKenzie river. Athabaska Falls isn't so big after you've been on a honeymoon.

Steve - I don't get you. You mean to tell me, that you, a full grown average man, would rather kneel in the dirt and water Tomato sprouts than catch Big Larry? And by gardening, you help the worms. A true outdoorsman is hopelessly inimical to all forms of bug life. Except for Skeetos.

:yuckyuck

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
J.R, I was thinking about putting this in the "tools" thread but it can go here:

Knee-pads?? I don't kneed kno knee-pads!

If I was to kneel anywhere, I'd probably knever be able to get up!

knon S'equitur, Kneve

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Are you trying to steal my distinct and fragrant sense of humor? I have kno idea why you would want to, kthough.

J.R. Knucas

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pictures for you all.

"Please remove all personal items from the balconys."

Move them to where may I ask? They said for now, If I could push them as close to the wall as possible..... I did that.

4874_balcony_2.jpg

4874_balcony1.jpg

I do enjoy fishing! The hardest part about fishing is that it's like a 2 hour minimum... crabbing or clamming, even with the ocean just an hour away, is still a 5-7 hour thing. The thing I love the most with the garden is that I can spend 10 minutes tending them before school with coffee in hand, and another 10 minutes after work decompressing among the greenery. You can't do that fishing... well, unless I fished my tropical fish out of the fish tank. But catching a few 2 inch tin foil barbs isn't quite as fun as targeting sunfish when you can not only see them, but they come up to you for food. LOL

And the McKenzie is beautiful at it's source:

4874_mckenzie.jpg

We spent two nights in a cabin up there in the middle of winter and it was so good, we went back a few weeks ago.

Latest posts