I'm so upset... I won't be able to make a green balcony this year.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a lot of plants! Maybe you can move them inside on the day/days they are actually working on your balcony... I realize they will probably take up your entire apartment! Here's hoping they work either really fast, or really slow so you can get in a harvest.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Silkie, I would try getting alittle friendly with that project manager. Mind you, I said alittle! :) Check on the progress of the project. Share your gardening ideas with him. Have him taste any produce you may have or share alittle if you can. Once you get to know him, take him some coffee or soda and chat with him for a couple of minutes. Sometimes kindness and being friendly with someone goes a long way. I find that people are more accepting of your wishes if they get to know you. He may be willing to work alittle harder because of having to work around your garden but may be willing to do so because he likes you. Good luck.

Mary

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just want to say I am really impressed and have plant envy. You definitely have the green thumb! :thumbsup

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
Sorry, just had to rant to people who'd understand.... I mean, this is a first world problem after all.
Eh, I don't know that it's an entitled first-world problem. Your farmland has been compromised. Your harvest is in danger. Since when is growing food a luxury equivalent to a daily macchiato? Even if you don't rely on it for survival. Don't apologize. :)

Oh, and... make nice with the contractor, ask him where your unit falls in the schedule of repair work. At least then you'll know, and you may have an opening to ask about rescheduling your unit. And make sure you check with the contractor that any necessary post-work inspections have been done and your balcony is given the all-clear before you move your plants back. Good luck. :)

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'm keeping tabs on the schedule and the manager has said he'll see what they can do with respect to deck access. The next 10 days will be to identify what needs to be repaired on our building, and then they anticipate repairs to take up to 2 months if it is anything like the first building with known issues. The building they had previously identified issues on, and are already working on, has their back deck door boarded shut with a lovely piece of plywood... Policy with the SO is once plants go out, they can't come back in... due to the plethora of bugs I've managed to accumulate in said buckets. So this weekend we're packing the car was as much as will fit of that balcony and driving it home to WA.

They came up this morning onto the balcony, laid sheets of plastic down and removed the soffits from the unit above for stage one of inspections. The guys were respectful of the plants and did their best not to damage them. Can't say any damage was done at all, just a bit dusty. Poor guys who have to do the work only had a bit wider than their ladder foot width to work in. Unfortunately, the materials and designs that work for southern California developments DO NOT work at ALL when put into the PNW or Willamete area... where rain happens 8-10 months of the year and humidity is always around.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good news update!

I took most things home that would fit, but just a few stayed behind. Worked with the contractors and they let me go onto the balcony to water. Not only is it the north side, it's now as far away from the sun as you can get. LOL

Let's just say, yields are pathetic, but at least I can look out my window and not see the construction going on!

4874_window.jpg

I just have to leave them enough space to put a ladder on our balcony.

4874_balcony_door.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Excellent! I had a feeling your green thumb wasn't going to sit this one out! Nothing like a little greenery to soften the view. Happy Gardening!

Latest posts