I'm so upset... I won't be able to make a green balcony this year.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is what I do every year:
4874_balcony.jpg

The flippin' greenest balcony in sterile ville that makes the landscaping company look bad. I get 20-30lbs of veggies off that mass planting of a NORTH balcony!

But not this year. The construction lawsuit has settled and they are starting repairs. We will be locked off our decks. I have already started the plants, they are already grown up partially for this year. 30+ planters, tending seedlings since January. They tell us yesterday, that we need to clear off our decks by tomorrow. What do they expect us to do with all the stuff we have out there? As one of our neighbors said, there is a reason we have stuff on our balcony. They have to find a place to keep their HUGE fancy grill for the duration of repairs. We're just renters at this condo complex. Thank GOD we are not owners! It is a nightmare for all of them. I guess I'll have to just get a truck and take all my buckets back home to WA for the year... This BLOWS. Our rent is too reasonable to make it worth moving in this rate inflated college town. :hit

I was not expecting to have to go without a garden till I graduate next year... hopefully that is.

Actually I am very angry about it, but they have to do their jobs.

Sorry, just had to rant to people who'd understand.... I mean, this is a first world problem after all.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything a bout the "lawsuit" That you mention. Were there safety issues? Can you ask them to work on yours first? Young college girl may be able to get a favor??? Cut back on the plants for this year and grow some in front of that sliding glass door. It's not ideal but perhaps you can still get a crop. Or will the building owners allow you to put them somewhere else? By the pool??? As a gardener for life I understand the NEED to grow things. Keep this in your heart to get out of school on time, get a good job, and buy a place where you can garden all the way to the moon if you like. Sorry for your disappointment.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! That's heartbreaking!! I LOVED living in the city, but man, I'd never go back because I NEED to have plenty of green space for my garden!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember your beautiful green balcony from previous years.... that is so sad. I sure don't blame you for being angry! I don't suppose they would let you use a bit of their land for your garden, or perhaps a community garden?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I don't know anything a bout the "lawsuit" That you mention. Were there safety issues? Can you ask them to work on yours first? Young college girl may be able to get a favor??? Cut back on the plants for this year and grow some in front of that sliding glass door. It's not ideal but perhaps you can still get a crop. Or will the building owners allow you to put them somewhere else? By the pool??? As a gardener for life I understand the NEED to grow things. Keep this in your heart to get out of school on time, get a good job, and buy a place where you can garden all the way to the moon if you like. Sorry for your disappointment.
I hate cities, I hate neighbors, I hate compact living... I only live in this concrete box because it's cheap! One of my goals is to not get into debt. And with one year left, I'm proud to be able to be well on my way of making it out with a PhD with zero debt and even some savings! I'd so be living at home if school was within commuting distance. We'd have bought something here to live at if this town had a future.

It's a pretty big lawsuit involving 9 buildings.... It's improper roofing, improper water sealing, improper exterior envelope... mold... developers going under blah blah blah. Sadly the place is run by an HOA and each unit is owned privately. The owner of our unit is in worse shape than we are so I feel badly for them as they have to put up the money for fees to fix the issues on the property. They'll have to fix things in order, I understand that it's a long term issue, but it's just so upsetting.

I already have some hydroponics and lots of plants... and animals inside. It's just not enough! I even have hundreds of plants started to take home to grow, but it's just not the same when I can't see them every day.

This is that window you see int he picture from last year... I'll have to do it again.
900x900px-LL-e361284e_230_kitchen_window.jpeg

Community gardens are booked for the year... the HOA is a stickler for rules, and we technically aren't supposed to touch the landscaping....

Considering buying a cheap junky truck and putting them all in it's bed and parking it in our one reserved parking spot. As long as we can show the truck starts and can move, they won't tow it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, me too, Silkie'!

Probably a little late for trying to locate a plot at that college town's community gardens but - who knows? Maybe somebody had to make a last-minute change of plans.

It can't be just me who gardens on other people's property. Let's see . . . one I got by having a friend who owns a store. A regular customer was complaining that the government was forcing him to maintain his property along a river that he had trouble getting his lawn tractor to. It was literally necessary for him to drive thru government property (or the neighbor's place) to reach this little, triangular piece of land.

Another was a friend of a friend. He was a retired school teacher, avid gardener and her bridge partner. He owned a rental house with a detached garage on 4 lots! He had a garden on 1 lot, 2 lots were maintained by the tenant. Kind of left 1 lot available.

Then, I stopped by a place with a tiny triangle at the base of a hill that had just been plowed. I asked if I could have a garden there. It looked like the tractor guy just barely had room to turn around. The answer was, "No." But, guess what? The owner had a huge garden space but his 5 sons had all grown up and left home! Besides, he planned a European trip that would take he and his wife away for 2 years! They had a caretaker couple for their huge house who were only about 21 years old, new baby. They had zero interest in a half-acre garden.

They call property owners like this: empty nesters. Me too - empty nest but I wasn't planning any trips to France ;).

There was Dad's backyard. Dad was nearly 80 by that time. No, I didn't squeeze him out - we shared space and shrunk his lawn ;). I checked on a vacant lot across an alley from my old home. Had to get the owner's name & address from the county courthouse. "Sure! Just don't make a mess." Paid him rent - apricot jam, 4 pints/annually/for 4 years - from his apricot tree! Along the way, a young couple with a very large backyard and no kids wanted to give me about a 1/4 acre. Actually, there were 2 couples like that - very young, no kids big places. David Brooks called them "Bobos = bourgeois and bohemian."

Plenty of those people around. I bet Oregon State University professors are fleeing that town in droves right now ;). Sure you can use their mower to run over their lawn once a week - if you can use that garden space beside their garage for the next 6 months.

Get the word out - get the word out!

Steve :hugs

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I forgot to thank everyone for their support.

digitS' said:
I bet Oregon State University professors are fleeing that town in droves right now ;).
LOL. They have and with HP's issues, lots of places around! OSU has just hired like over 100 professors to fill the empty shoes though and for some reason rent and all associated things just getting more expensive.

I might just put them around our car in the reserved parking spot. Time is strapped to where I'm tending things in the dark already. I should just concentrate on school and get my behind out of this place.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A Doctorate???With no debt???? Congratulations on such a good plan. Keep your eye on the prize. You will make a lot of money soon enough to buy your little piece of garden heaven.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Agh, that is so frustrating, Silkie! I'm also in school, with a couple part time jobs...and cant believe i'm even putting myself through all the work of greenhouse and garden. I mean, what am i thinking?? Oh yeah, i really like this :) you have lots to look forward to AT YOUR OWN HOUSE, which you'll be able to afford because you've worked so hard thru all this :)

Latest posts