In defense of winter

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Weather is truly nuts. they're calling for 82 here Monday. Northern MI? Okay every April we sometimes get an odd 90 degree day, but that's mid April. This is mid March! The snow is almost off my small plot of garden and I may be able to dig it up this weekend assuming the ground keeps thawing. :happy_flower

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is mostly just that it is unpleasant weather. The wind gusts were up above 50mph today. Our high temperature, in the upper 40's, must have occurred about 4am and then - the temperature dropped about 10 degrees. It never made it back up where it was pre-dawn even by mid-afternoon.

The early morning rain was replaced by frequent snow flurries. We did have a fair amount of sunshine in the afternoon but I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been thunder and lightening with all the big clouds scudding by! The upper elevations have gotten quite a bit more snow. Our nearest ski area has over 12' at the summit. Water locked up as snow was below normal all thru the winter until the Snotel station began showing above normal readings by the 1st of March. It is going higher and I'd guess should hit about 30% above average by April Fool's Day. Still, if it doesn't melt all at once . . . that water means plenty of irrigation and hydroelectric power thru the summer. Phoenix, you wanna buy any electricity to keep you cool in August??

Could be worse. Here's that McMurdo Station widget again showing what it's like in Antarctica. Keep in mind . . . it is still summer there :p:
89664.gif

It is early afternoon and 18 in McMurdo Station as I'm typing this. I wonder what their high temperature was in Antarctica this summer :rolleyes:.

And, we may just be jealous of all the warm spring weather others are experiencing elsewhere. Uh, elsewhere besides at the ends of the Earth ;). If I show you a picture of my seedlings in the south window, do you think they could get a few warm thoughts heading their way?

Steve
blizzard.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . it is 9 as of 8:30am at McMurdo Station . . .

They still have

5 days of summer.

Steve

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
And, we may just be jealous of all the warm spring weather others are experiencing elsewhere. Uh, elsewhere besides at the ends of the Earth ;). If I show you a picture of my seedlings in the south window, do you think they could get a few warm thoughts heading their way?

Steve
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just 4 Fun/blizzard.gif
It's 84 here as I write this. I suppose I could take a box outside and let it fill and mail it to you if think that would do any good? :mow

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
. . . it is 9 as of 8:30am at McMurdo Station . . .

They still have

5 days of summer.

Steve
See? Now doesn't that make our short summer look positively glorious?! At 46 degrees and a steady rain, today looks lovely -
comparatively!

I refuse to acknowledge that Lesa and other various northerners are planting peas and DIRECT SEEDING tomatoes! :D

By the way Steve, the way this thread keeps getting bumped up is starting to make me squirm. Maybe I was hasty in my defense of a much maligned season....;)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather seems to about normal for our area, it has been the same for the last 45 yrs ive been here. The problem is you cannot pick a day that you are going to do something and think the weather will cooperate! such as taking a day off of work to roof a leanto you are building on your garage, only to wake up to 45 mph winds and horizontal snow. I'm over that though theres always another day.

Latest posts