In Your Potato Patch

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What did you plant?

I got my spuds planted this week. Despite my location, I'm not the most experienced potato grower around. There were decades, between the time when I used to grow them and when I came back to being a spud gardener :p.

The Russet Burbanks were awfully cheap at the supermarket. Then, all these new types began to show up at the garden centers!! After awhile, I was back in the game!

At first, I grew the varieties that I'd never heard of before! But, the offerings available locally were so varied that I began to settle down a bit. One that has been in my garden for about 6 years is the ever popular (& justifiably so, IMO), Yukon Gold.

Red Norland is a good, very early red that I've grown before but Purple Viking is new to me. I am hoping that it is like Caribe - another very early spud but one with a bright, white interior.

I've also got Goldrush Russet again. It did only okay for me last year but I think I may have harvested those plants too early. So, I've got this mid-season variety at the end of a bed where it won't be in the way of harvesting the early-earlies.

A late stop at the garden center turned up a real new-to-me: Purple Majesty! I planted 200 square feet of spuds! ;) !

What are you growing in the potato patch this year?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't even bought my spuds this year Steve!
My SP (sweet patootie ) and I will be driving up to Ronningers in Moyie Springs next weekend hopefully, to pick them up.

When I spoke on the phone to Mr. Potato Head himself (no disrespect intended, he was the guy in charge that returned my call and I didn't catch his real name ) he said they would have more varieties available in a few weeks.

I too am planting YGs (always!) and Red Norland which I haven't grown for several years now.

I'd like a good storage potato (another project: good potato storage space) so will probably go with something russetish. Wanted Carola but they don't have them he said.

When we get there all this could change when I see what they offer. Except Yukon, that's a fer sher.
I grew fingerlings two years ago and liked them, they did very well and they were fun, but I'm in a culinary rut and they didn't work as well with my usual preparations.

In Ronnigers (Colorado ) catalog I see Purple Majesty listed as an early and it says some very nice things about them.
Did you know they have " more than twice the anthocyanidins of any other produce item"?

Well, I wanted to get them in the ground by now, but was reassured by Mr. PH's declaration that he never plants his until June(!). That seemed a little scary to me, but he's the pro right?

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
What did you plant?

I got my spuds planted this week. Despite my location, I'm not the most experienced potato grower around. There were decades, between the time when I used to grow them and when I came back to being a spud gardener :p.

The Russet Burbanks were awfully cheap at the supermarket. Then, all these new types began to show up at the garden centers!! After awhile, I was back in the game!

At first, I grew the varieties that I'd never heard of before! But, the offerings available locally were so varied that I began to settle down a bit. One that has been in my garden for about 6 years is the ever popular (& justifiably so, IMO), Yukon Gold.

Red Norland is a good, very early red that I've grown before but Purple Viking is new to me. I am hoping that it is like Caribe - another very early spud but one with a bright, white interior.

I've also got Goldrush Russet again. It did only okay for me last year but I think I may have harvested those plants too early. So, I've got this mid-season variety at the end of a bed where it won't be in the way of harvesting the early-earlies.

A late stop at the garden center turned up a real new-to-me: Purple Majesty! I planted 200 square feet of spuds! ;) !

What are you growing in the potato patch this year?

Steve
We have mostly Kennebec--would not do without them!! We also have some Red Norland (not many) and some Klondike Gold. :tools

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year, just Kennebec and Pontiac Red. I don't have a great place to store them so I keep it pretty limited. I may try canning some this year though.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just cut up store bought russets... and in the buckets they went. Doing great over here though. :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
No one is growing fingerlings?? They are incredibly delicious right out of the garden and absolutely wonderful canned. Try them, you'll like them! Also planting red potatoes- organics from the grocery store... I get my fingerlings, and soon my sweet potatoes from the Maine potato lady. I figure if she can grow them in Maine, I can grow them in NY!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa , I agree about the fingerlings, I liked them a lot, but my potato space is limited (hope to change that next year ) and I don't have a pressure canner yet, so I'm sticking with my usual this year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is supposed to be one fingerling that is early - I've forgotten the name. I'm kind of addicted to early potatoes. It is so great to have them by the end of July :p! Then, I can take them out thru August and replant the bed with Fall greens!

This year, I'm counting on my russet to break me of this addition, a little. If'n I'm going to grow so many, I've gotta have one that will last in storage past January. So, maybe I can leave the russets in the garden until September and keep them in the basement into March.
:fl

Maybe, I should just grow fingerlings instead of russets. The ones I've had were growing the e n t i r e season. Do you think fingerlings would last a good long while in my basement??

I used to grow Kennebec regularly but they have some problems with scab. Actually, so does Yukon Gold but not as bad. I suppose soil type makes a big difference with that.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, Rose Finn is supposed to be a good keeper, it's rosy colored with white flesh. I suppose most of the late fingerling varieties should be good keepers. Russian Bannana, Ozette, and Purple Peruvian are all late varieties.
Peanut and Red Thumb are both early.

I'm sure there are others, these are what Ronnigers (Colo.) carries.

Latest posts