In Your Potato Patch

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have bamboo in my garden too. Yes, they do spread out very far and can be invasive. If anyone wants to grow bamboo make sure to get the clumping variety, these don't spread out as much and are more controllable. Bamboo does make great material for trellis and poles.

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
shadetech said:
Smiles said:
shadetech - I sure wish I had access to the bamboo that you have. There are hundreds of things I could use it for.
As long as you don't have to put a shovel in the ground. :barnie I cut a bunch of it down last year to reclaim some more garden space. My daughter stopped by and said the "little stumps" looked like ham bones. I'll tell ya', as many ham bones as I've dug up I think I'm fighting a "millipig" These things have a root system that is incomparable to anything I've ever seen. They say the only way to get rid of it is to remove the top 3 feet of dirt and use napalm on what is left. :ep

Don't get me wrong, I Love my bamboo, but think long and hard before planting any where you might actually want to use the land.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8239_fastest_growing_grass_in_the_world.jpg

This stuff grows 30 feet tall in a year and travels as deep as 3 feet and at least as far as 20 feet underground.

Makes nice tomato stakes though.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8239_maters.jpg

the wire you can barely see is 5 foot. The bamboo poles stick out of the ground 7 foot.

henry
I too have bamboo and we fight it every year..it is alone our fence line..the person next door planted it about 20 years ago and now it takes up so much space..you can kill it with round up but you have to be quick. Cut it about 3inches above ground and then spray it in like 10 seconds or less..you really have to be quick or it will seal up again..
Course it is good for many projects like chicken roost and I even sell some at the flea market for fishing poles..

Don :watering a lot

Latest posts