In Your Potato Patch

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took this picture in probably the worse possible light this morning - very strong and bright. But, I wanted to show you how things are with my 200 square feet of spuds! That's a lawn rake in there leaning against the plants. The beds are a few inches higher than the permanent paths and the rake is 66" long.

DSC00120.JPG

those are bunching onions and late-planted zucchini in the foreground

The plants are still standing up nice and perky! I thought they might have begun to reach maturity a little earlier - they are all early varieties. Last year, potato harvest began on July 14th and the vines of at least 1 variety were right down flat on the ground by that time.

Anyway - there they are! They are still over 30" tall . . . and, I'm growing impatient :p.

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow! I'm green with envy, Steve. My potatoes are my biggest disappointment this year. Even with all the trouble I had with my heirloom tomatoes. My potatoes were totally submerged for about 4 weeks this spring. Out of maybe 70 seed/sets I think I have 5 or 6 growing now. This spring I made some drastic crop rotation moves and the potatoes ended up in a low place in the garden. I guess I could have gone out there in the 5 continuous weeks of rain we had and moved them but I didn't. I just complained about the crappy weather. That'll teach me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know Smiles. I suspect that not many people would go digging thru mud to rescue seed potatoes.

I have often thought that planting in trenches might be worth a try. Of course, I've got soil that drains in a minute but one could sure get in trouble with some soil, good idea otherwise or not. Lots of people, hill and hill and hill. I don't do that either. Just make sure that no tubers make it onto the surface because of greening. But, burying deep works in beds of loose soil and those sprouts just work their way up thru the gravel :rolleyes:.

Now, I'm anxious to see if they've done anything . . . One thing, there won't be many peas for "creamed peas & new potatoes" since the peas were something of a total loss :/.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Holy potatoes!!! Those look fabulous! You haven't reached in and snuck a few?? I don't think I have ever had potatoes get that tall... Looking forward to seeing that harvest!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WOW!!!! Very nice! Thats crazy how tall they are.

Mine are just starting to bloom here. I've got 5lbs of redskins, 5lbs of russets (not sure the exact type thats how they were sold to me) and just over 1lbs of Adironack blues. First year doing spuds.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
<snip> (not sure the exact type thats how they were sold to me) <snip>
Yeah, Jared. People here on TEG talk about all sorts of potato names and the only I have ever been exposed to has been red, white, or yellow. Oh, I take that back - this spring I did see a sack of Kinnibeck seed potatoes at the feed mill but I don't know if they were red, white or yellow.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Smiles. I felt kind of guilty posting that but I honestly don't know. I get them from my local nursery and the help there grows what they stock so they do good for this area. This is my first year with them so who was I to argue?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you see -- I lose track of them once they are in the garden . . .

TEG has this record of what I planted out there back in April, but below the surface of the soil :idunno.

After all, I didn't mean to drift into the russets, just after a handful of reds:

DSC00125.JPG

It is best, I have been told by a PhD in potatoes (yeah, really :)), that a plant may as well just be pulled rather than "robbed" or "noodled," as some people say. The plant experiences stress and probably stops growing. But, it doesn't seem like it would make much difference. I mean, the new potato bounty is still out there waiting for me! I'd just better limit how many plants I noodle around with ;).)

I'll stay with the plants I noodled and save the others for a few more weeks. Oh Boy :p!

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
8098_022.jpg
[/img]
8098_001.jpg
[/img]

Here are our potatoes :thumbsup We have already snuck some out to enjoy as baby potaoes with the 1st peas. :drool
We had a slow start with a cool wet spring. things are really beginning to go now! It won't be long and we will have trouble keeping up with it all. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want some, Carol Dee!

So easy and flavorful! And, one reason I'm not in much of a hurry to get peas into the garden, I want them in July with the potatoes!

I start with the potatoes. When they soften a bit - toss in the peas. A minute or 2 later - splash of cream. Done!

Steve

Latest posts