incubator -what did you choose, why did you choose it

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ollie and his moma Penelope the partridge chochin. his dad was one of my Faverolles roos. you can see my bantam salmon Faverolles hen Etta May in the back, this is the hen i'm sure is a salmon Faveolles possibly crossed with my D'uccle roo Momo (she seems to have his attitude when she wants something of me) :lol:
6704_olliepenelopemomfeb2013-01.jpg

6704_olliepenelopemomfeb2013-02.jpg

i don't have any good pics of his sister Miss Mooney. she looks to be a creamy white but close up you can see that she has a very light blush to her feathers that sort of looks like the salmon Faverolles color with the lacing at the end of each feather. neither Ollie or Mooney got their beard or 5th toes but they did get the white skin. and both have the upright 45 degree Faverolles tail set. the only combo i could figure out made them was the faverolles with my partridge cochin. seems like the color sexing gene may have worked with this pairing very well. as chicks, Ollie was black while Mooney was yellow. i need to see if this will work again to be sure, but all my birds are in together in one coop. so that might not happen :/

eta, i didn't mean to hijack the thread! go about your business! kindly disregard the crazy chicken lady who has WAAAAY too many roosters in her coop and is talking about hatching more chicks! :hide

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i want my girls to go broody, but despite their breed, none are even thinking about it. i figure for long term, i will need to replace birds now & then and i don't like "shopping" for birds - especially since i need only a few. there are no breeders in my area for the heritage birds. so i figure i'll steal eggs from the girls & incubate them.
thanks alot for sharing your input on incubators.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I picked the cheapest, the one that hatches 35 chicks and it made of styrofoam. I also bought an egg turner. It's hard to clean it and I've broken one of the two thermometers--stepped on it, but I've saved the boxes and I have a storage spot at the end of the season. My total? ~$80.00 We hatched out about 60 chicks in 2012.
Don't invest in a really expensive one starting out. It's supposed to save you money.

Latest posts