Indestructible plants

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I work 60 or more hours a week , so the time I can spend in garden is limited. If a plant can't do well on it's own it goes. I don't stake or dig up to over winter, I do water. I like flowers that do well on their own. Bleeding heart is one, after planted it needs no extra care, comes back every year bigger and bigger. Daylilies and sedums are the same. What flowers do you have that take care of themselves ?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daylilies, crape myrtles, hostas, iris, azalias, yucca, lots of mostly unknown bits and pieces that I got almost free as they were being cleared out to make room for mums at Lowes a couple of years.
The only thing in my yard that has required more care than the animals is the compost pile. :gig

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
BINDWEED!

:th

I'm pretty sure that if they wanted to see if any plant can grow on Mars Bindweed would be the one!

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ROFL, Marshall...ain't that the truth!? I hate that stuff!

I too prefer stuff you can pretty much stick in the ground and let it be :) My favorite flowers are irises...They're really hardy and about all you need to do is dig 'em up and thin 'em out every 3 years or so. Well, deadheading them keeps 'em prettier too. I like the tall bearded, medium, short, re-bloomers, good smelling...they come in so many different varieties and colors, and the foliage usually stays fairly green even in the winter providing some nice structure and color even in the winter garden. My only "complaint" if you want to call it that, is that they have a fairly short bloom time. Still, different varieties flower at different times, so it's quite possible to have some color just about all season.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mums. I planted a Mum for the DW a few years ago and nothing seems to phase it. It grows bigger and badder every year.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i live in Texas and we're getting drier and drier. i'm not a waterer, so once things are set they're on their own for the most part. i will water about once a month. i rotate through the beds. i use alot of antique roses because they can take it. i like to have plants that are not "typical" so i'm always looking for the different. a plant that is a surprise for me in my conditions is asparagus fern. it dies to the ground every year, but it takes the full, all day sun here & doesn't require any more water than the others in the bed. it's dormant in the winter - but gosh, that stuff is tough. i like using it in a row, or bunched up in a mass.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Absolutely the truth OldGuy! In fact, I guess all the Cactaceae have pretty flowers!

Latest posts