Indestructible plants

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exactly the one! oh, and also Filipendula.

Smart, you sure are smart! :)

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Barefoot, your lists there exactly and precisely match some of the things we had mostly in the prerennials section at the greenhouse nursery i worked at in montana. if i had a good memory i'd be able to add to it by going down the beds in my mind's eye...Betony, Joe Pye, hens and chicks, euphorbias, baby's breath, penstemon, perennial alyssum, snow on the mountain, hardy carnation...what is that astilbe relative larger p...
Marshall, I also worked at a greenhouse/nursery in our small town , for a few years, a number of years back. I aquired a lot of plants I couldnt resist..You added some others to your list that are good indestructable/easy care plants.

And yes, Smart Red is correct. Goatsbeard is the other relative to Astilbe. We carried both in the nursery, and i had to grow both. Goatsbeard was a much larger plant,with larger plumes.. and I mine was white.

Ginny

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
barefootgardener said:
Goatsbeard is the other relative to Astilbe. We carried both in the nursery, and i had to grow both. Goatsbeard was a much larger plant,with larger plumes.. and I mine was white.

Ginny
I don't know that goatsbeard comes in any color other than white. If I'd seen it, I'd have it. I do know that it now comes in a 'dwarf' variety - also white.

An indestructible plant for sun might be 'Petrovskia' or Russian Sage (also comes in a mini-size). That was my other option for the " p.... " quote from Marshallsmyth although I know it's not an astilbe relative. I love the foliage color of this one.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The filipendula, ha, funny story.

When I first started working there the owner and my coworker were calling it flipindula<<<look closely at that spelling :)

All the tags were worn. One day I looked at several tags to get the spelling right. Some letters visible on one, other letters visible on another, that way.

I had to laugh when it dawned on me they were both saying it wrong.

We all had fun with some plant names though...me most guilty of that.

Alchemilla

Al Camilla, sounds like the name of a mobster, so I called Lady's Mantle the Godfather plant.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! We called it flip-n-dip you LA!

The boss called Indian Physic ( Gillenia trifoliata ) "Indian Psychic" and couldn't be reasoned out of that pronunciation.

Ethan

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a volunteer plant in my front yard, which a bird must have left me. I have weed whacked it, pulled it up to try and transplant it (that just got me two vines), it survived our unusually long and cold rainy season, the various hailstorms we've had over the past year, a thick coat of volcanic ash-mud from the rain during the eruption, it grows through powdery mildew, and even though it's a host plant for several rather lovely butterflies, it seems to not mind being eaten by caterpillars (and they periodically defoliate it.)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ethan, did you say it's a vine?

Sounds like bindweed, (morning glory weed, obnoxious wild relative of sweet and good morning glories)

Nasa is sending some to Mercury to see how well it grows there.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I say coreopsis, coneflower, gaillardia, rudbeckia, perennial phlox, torch lily, fill in with snapdragons, petunia, zinnia. I like to have something blooming all year long so I have my beds packed with perennials and then grow annuals to fill in and I put down bags of chopped leaves and then put wood chips (free from county) on top of that, they suck up moisture when it rains and releases it when the ground gets dry if they are seasoned wood chips.

Latest posts