Indestructible plants

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What about epimedium? The spring flowers are like tiny orchids in many different hues and the plants are tough as nails. Make a nice lush low mound when not blooming and I think mine get a red blush on their leaves in the cooler/cold months. I don't do a thing to them ever and they are thriving. I'm zone 5, and I don't know how they grow in southern/warmer climates, though. I think they originated in China.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing that goes along with gardens in keeping up with the weeds. I have sedum that i call a living mulch. It spreads like crazy and keeps most of the weeds down. When I want to plant something I yank out a handful and plant. It does not seem to give the more valuable plants any competition. It seems to retain moisture also.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
MeggsyGardenGirl said:
What about epimedium? The spring flowers are like tiny orchids in many different hues and the plants are tough as nails. Make a nice lush low mound when not blooming and I think mine get a red blush on their leaves in the cooler/cold months. I don't do a thing to them ever and they are thriving. I'm zone 5, and I don't know how they grow in southern/warmer climates, though. I think they originated in China.
How long and when do the epimedium bloom, Meggsy? I am not familiar with them. Welcome to our fun forum.

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember when mine bloom. I think late April and May, generally 2-4 weeks. They are low growing, depending on the cultivar. The flowers, though small, are enchanting. Darrel Probst from here in Massachusetts, is a recognized collector and expert. He has written several articles on them and travels to China to discover new varieties. He says they grow from Zones 3 to 9 but prefer shade or part sun and somewhat moist conditions. I'm in Z5/6b and that's pretty much where I have mine planted. My blooms are white, yellow and Shrimp (pink/coral combo).`I think the Shrimp is one of his discoveries.

Thanks for the welcome. This is a nice group.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For me easy care or indestructable plants are characterized by: Longevity, resistance to disease and insects, dont need to be divided by more than 4 or 5 years, has a tolerance of growing conditions, such as summer heat and cold winters, dont need staking and wont take over the garden. Long bloom period and attractive foliage are a plus for me..

Astilbe, Liatris (Bazing Stars), Lady's Mantel, Veronica Speedwell, Bleeding Hearts, Daylilies, Pink's (dianthus), Geranium Perennial (cranesbill), Sedum (stonecrop), Single flower Peonies,
Ornamental Grasses, Yarrow, Echinops (Globe Thistle), Coral Bells, Geums, Siberian Iris, Candytuft, Butterfly Flower

If you dont mind some dead heading or plants that spread out, here are some tough plants:: Purple Coneflowers, Russian Sage, Golden Marguerite (Athenis), Thyme, Wormwood (Artemesia), Oriental Poppies, Yarrow, Bronze Fennel, Catmint (nepeta), Blanketflower, Bearded Iris, Chives

I have to say, I love Catmint. It is one of the first plants to bloom in early spring, and it gives lovely blue/purple flowers that bloom for most of the summer, it reblooms again in the fall. The leaves have that musky minty smell when brushed or stepped on. It spreads out by the roots..It survives drought and will grow in some pretty sandy, gravely soil also..I use it along my bordered walkway in the front of my flower/herb garden. Bees love it !!

Ginny

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi NYBoy - I think epimediums are woodland plants - no bulb, rhizome or tuber that I know of. I only know it as epimedium but I've seen it called some oddball names such as 'Horny Goat Weed',' Rowdy Lamb Herb,' 'Randy Beef Grass', (do I detect a trend here?) as well as 'Barrenwort,' 'Bishop's Hat' and 'Fairy Wings.' I have had mine more than 10 years and haven't lifted, divided, or trimmed them other than to keep one particularly happy plant from creeping into a walkway. I've read they are deer resistant and I've had no disease or pest problems either. I had one tiny plant frost heave and be exposed for a long time but I just tucked it back in the soil and it recovered. Hope this is helpful.
Meggsy
'

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Barefoot, your lists there exactly and precisely match some of the things we had mostly in the prerennials section at the greenhouse nursery i worked at in montana. if i had a good memory i'd be able to add to it by going down the beds in my mind's eye...Betony, Joe Pye, hens and chicks, euphorbias, baby's breath, penstemon, perennial alyssum, snow on the mountain, hardy carnation...what is that astilbe relative larger p...

Latest posts