Info on how to grow Mint

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know about starting from seeds, but I would think it would probably work. I've always used starts.

I just wanted to add to the other comments about mint in that I've grown mint for years & about 3 years ago I dug it all up & hadn't seen it since.....then just this week I happened to notice a strange little growth smaller than a quarter & sure enough it was the mint. Even after 3 years the stuff doesn't give up.
So to those that *think* your mint is dead.....don't bet on it! :lol:

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
What I could really use is info on how to get mint to STOP growing, LOL

Seriously, unless you are in the desert, once mint gets started, it will just keep right on rolling without any work on your part, like it or not :)

Pat
:gig I live in the southern Sonoran desert, and the mint was growing beside the cacti!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
I don't know about starting from seeds, but I would think it would probably work. I've always used starts.

I just wanted to add to the other comments about mint in that I've grown mint for years & about 3 years ago I dug it all up & hadn't seen it since.....then just this week I happened to notice a strange little growth smaller than a quarter & sure enough it was the mint. Even after 3 years the stuff doesn't give up.
So to those that *think* your mint is dead.....don't bet on it! :lol:
i'd believe that! some mints seem to go in rounds! one year it will be spearmint taking over the next year it will be apple mint! who ever is the strongest will take over and then die back for another to take over! :lol:

i think i may have found a GREAT temporary solution to keeping it in check (and it does not involve any tools!) if you have chickens let them 'mow' it! i let one of my bantam faverolles hens loose in my garage where i had some recently purchased herbs and she seems to prefer the mints the most (my sage was a close second!) she nipped those plants down to their stems and then some! :lol:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't that interesting Moma? Someone else was just saying that the only thing they could grow in their chicken yard was mint- that the birds wouldn't touch it! Go figure!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, and now my other chickens have caught the mint 'bug'! :lol: i was holding a few leaves above their heads and they were hopping and flying right at my hand trying to get it from me! it's always fun to watch how desperate they can be when they really want their treats!

must just be a preference of the birds i have! i do let them munch on a lot of greenery so they probably thought it was lettuce or spinach that i tend to hand feed to them. :lol: aaahhh, i pamper my chickies!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
See if your eggs are minty fresh!!!
:yuckyuck
i like that one! we will see. i may have to mention that to the coworker who buys my extra eggs to let me know if they start tasting like mint! now we just need a smiley that has a bright and sparkly smile! :D

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
See if your eggs are minty fresh!!!
I would be really afraid of what it would do to the eggs. Although if you were baking a cake or making cookies you would have extra flavoring.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
so if you do want to plant it, how do you do it? Can I just throw out some seeds and water them?
That was my plan, only now I think I'll do the bucket thing. My lemon balm is enough of a chore to keep under control.

I can't find plain old mint starts around here anywhere this year, so when I saw a packet of mint seeds, I bought them. I plan to drill holes in the bottom of a bucket for drainage, and bring the "pot" in onto the enclosed back porch for the winter like I do with my catnip.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, freshfood, we are upstate NY neighbors! I am in Utica. My mint winters over just fine. If you don't feel like bringing your mint bucket onto the porch- I sincerely doubt the mint will die... One of the first things up in the spring, around here. Happy Gardening!