Inside Starts, Yours & Mine

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I saw a package of the most beautiful rich purple Dahlias,( my favorite shade of my favorite color) and passed them up thinking I could just come back later and get them. When I got back they were gone :th:hit I haven't found any like it since :hitThey were huge dinner plate Dahlias. That is why you don't pass up a great find .:he:old

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
All of your starts look so healthy Journey.
Ava should be proud of her little babies, tell her she done good! Pretty soon you'll be able to sit in the rocker on the porch and Ava will be doing all the gardening for you!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ava with her babies that she started entirely by herself. She selected them all on her own and even planted some Collarette dahlias (a compact, dwarf variety that is nice in window boxes and containers) that I didn't believe would germinate, but they did! Mostly flowers, but there are a dozen Roma tomatoes in there too.

I told her we would need to thin them to one plant per cell this week and she doesn't like the sound of that. She wants them all to live. I usually feel that way about thinning too. Ha.

I love to see kids plant things! Nice job!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna put this picture here and reference my star-crossed efforts in 2013 to cross some of my smaller sized tomatoes (Link).
. . . Here's the result:

I am calling it Kimberley 2 and it is right in front of the "K." Now to compare it with its mother's generation: Those are Kimberley 1 plants behind it.

:rolleyes: Steve
All the other plants, except four Kimberley 1, have been moved out of that box. Those four are quite large now but they provide a little company to the Kimberley 2.

Since the photo was taken, the tiny, tiny plant has been joined by 2 equally tiny plants. The first Kimberley 2 has grown! It now has its true leaves. They are "potato leaves" just like the Kimberley 1. In other words, they ARE Kimberley 1.

Failure . . . :hit.

I will allow a little more time for the final two little guys to make their true leaves, show their colors, as it were. There is little reason to be optimistic. I just have to have parent plants that bloom at the same time. I have to have more fresh flowers to work with if I want to pass 4th grade science.

:) Steve ;)

I always call it 4th grade science. Pollen to stamen, make seed, harvest seed, plant seed, plant seedling, wait patiently, or impatiently, see new hybrid when it blooms. Thanks to my 4th grade teacher who had us read a book about science and report on it, Mendel of course. I can remember just barely being able to understand it.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice pictures Journey. I saved a bunch of dwarf dahlia tubers from last year's garden. They are just starting to put shoots up now. I love the little dahlias there are so many variations.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Love Ava's smile with her plants. I am still trying to teach my four year old granddaughter 'green side up, brown side down'! She loves to help me in the garden. It's fun when the kids are interested.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the time of year when the plant needs really begin to take control of my waking hours. I'll be dreaming about them soon.

The cool season starts have been moved into the hoop house. There is no heater in there. Cool this morning, Partly Cloudy, 37°f. It's 38° in there!

Well, not really. I've got the thermometer up against the plywood, an 3/8th of an inch from the outdoors. I've moved it down where the plants are. Still ! It is cold enough that warm season seedlings like tomatoes would be at death's door!

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just seeing my Love Lies Bleeding seeds sprouting! There is hope...Spring is here! Still waiting for the first tomatoes to germinate...

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
weeeeeellllll, I was really mean this morning and chucked my tiny defenseless baby seedlings out into the 32 degree greeenhouse. :/ they've been out there for short visits of a few hours in the afternoon, but I'm working all day today so whatever happens they're stuck for a good 8 hours. I'm a bit worried, but the sun was going to warm that greenhouse up quickly...I hope! But not too warm, I hope! It was a high of 91 in there yesterday so they should do okay even if it gets that warm. Wish them luck!!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I up-potted more broccoli, and lettuce, and tomatoes. I got two Campbell 1327 that are growing well :celebrateas are two sweet 100 :celebrate one roma sprouted as well. :) The Campbell pear 19 tomato hasn't done a thing :( BUT, my pumpkin, cucumbers, corn,peas, and cantaloupe have sprouted and I can barley keep up :weee The water melons haven't done anything but I'm holding out for it :fl Also the one of the birdhouse/swan gourds (not sure which) has cracked it's shell and looks like it will sprout soon.:) I didn't think much would happen because they are at least 4 years old. And my purple potato sprouted today as well. :weeeI still haven't gotten around to starting my sunflowers, but I will try tomorrow. I am so looking forward to my sunflowers. :celebrate

Latest posts