Installed a fence charger in the greenhouse~

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I found the short, this is very hard to tell what a goof I've done. I've work as a journeyman electrician and,,,,well, I'm glad I found it, I told the girls I was glad they didn't find it.

Well, here goes~In the haste to get the system up and running~I grabbed what ever wire to run from the ground post, I'd driven into the earth and the 12 gauge wire on stand offs running is several strand round the garden and greenhouse~ I found a short piece of solid 16 ga wire with black plastic clad and attached that to the ground rod~can you see what is about to happen?~then I found a spool or breaded wire, white clad, and connected it to the strands running around the garden!!!!

Of course when I went into the greenhouse and hooked up the charger I hooked the Black to the Positive(color code) and white to ground on the charger.

The positive was going from the positive post on the charger directly to the Ground Rod.

When the movie is made~I will not be the one who will have done this.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
The charger is hitting at 13.5, that's not a problem~I'll come out in the evening and be able to see the blue spark ~if it hasn't already browned back the blade of grass or whatever it's jumping to. Once what it's hitting is gone the reading will return to 15.5 or around there.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to install a new charger~it went pooff. Reading up one Chargers I find that the biggest problem is not proper or enough ground.

I installed 4-5' long copper grounding posts and a new charger, it has worked now for a week. Last night upon returning home, I checked the charger~it was hitting at 15.1 or higher~ this morning I found it hitting at 14.7 so I checked the fence.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Don't know if you have Kangaroo Rat by you but here one is, the look like Disney Creatures but eat everything even tomatoes plants and all.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I feel your pain Valley and I love me a good hot wire! When rodents destroy what you've worked hard to grow it can be infuriating.

I have been warring with the large Bambi rodents at a few of my in town jobs. I finally installed an electric fence around a cutting garden I created for a client. The next time I was there I saw where a deer had climbed partway through the three wire enclosure. There were some very deep scrambly hoof prints on the outside of the fence when she threw it in reverse. Made my day! Did a happy dance on the spot, and the garden is thriving with not so much as a nibble since then. Yay for hot wires! :weee
Bambi tastes good with green beans, too.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, It won't cook Bambi, but it zaps the rodents real good~last night it got something, a rodent, I have no idea what it is, but i'm sure it wouldn't do the veggies any good if it had gotten in.

Yep, I can see you doing the happy dance, the calf got out and wondered got zapped and ran home to mama.

Latest posts