Interesting quick bread

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Know how I rarely (never) follow recipies? I took my craftiness in the kitchen to a whole new level this morning!! I cleaned out the "catch all" cupboard, and decided i needed to use up all these various bits and pieces of things that were in there. And a quick bread was going to be my vehicle to do this!

My various bits were: a candy cane, dried bananas and craisins, a pack of airplane pretzels, pepitas and a few walnuts. All that went into my food processor, and chopped till it was barely recognizable.

I used a zucchini bread recipe for inspiration, but substituted a frozen banana for zucchini. The 1.5 cups of flour the recipe called for ended up being part rice flour, part a flour i couldnt ID (why was it in that ziploc bag if it was regular flour???) and regular white all purpose. Also in the mix: an egg, small amount oil, cinnamon and nutmeg and sugar. There was baking powder and soda too.

IT WORKED! I cant believe, not only is it edible, ITS GOOD! Now, cross your fingers for the grits i discovered in the cupboard (stone ground). I have no idea what this northerner is doing with grits in her cupboard...they're in the crock pot, hopefully to be combined with cheese and leftover chicken for dinner??

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I call that Surprise Cooking. Throw it all together to see what you get--SURPRISE!!! :lol:

Cheese grits are good! If you have any cream, add that in too!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cheese grits WERE good, probably the first time i've liked grits. And i added whipping cream, and we had chicken and gravy over top. Delish! And, the cupboard is cleaner!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, i might actually buy them again at the store. The next experiment is a pizza crust from the leftover grits!! I'll see if i can find the link to the recipe...

Here it is! Our recipe will be different, i plan on using a tomato sauce, various veggies and meat, and provolone cheese to top it off.

Last edited:

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, i might actually buy them again at the store. The next experiment is a pizza crust from the leftover grits!! I'll see if i can find the link to the recipe...

Here it is! Our recipe will be different, i plan on using a tomato sauce, various veggies and meat, and provolone cheese to top it off.
Oh, that looks good!
There is a new grain mill in the next town over, and we just picked up some polenta/ground flint corn. We cooked polenta tonight with a bean dish and it was yummy. This will be the next recipe I try.

Latest posts