Introducing "Cherokee"

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
If one ever had to necropsy a long haired dog one would find that after running out in a field ... the dog almost instantly picks up foxtails and burrs, etc. in their long coats. The foxtails soon migrates through their skins, into muscles, then organs or spinal chords. Seeing all of the above, I prefer only SHORT haired dogs. The long haired dogs are just too HIGH MAINTENANCE as well as keeping NYboy rolling in the dough!!! :eek:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If one ever had to necropsy a long haired dog one would find that after running out in a field ... the dog almost instantly picks up foxtails and burrs, etc. in their long coats. The foxtails soon migrates through their skins, into muscles, then organs or spinal chords. Seeing all of the above, I prefer only SHORT haired dogs. The long haired dogs are just too HIGH MAINTENANCE as well as keeping NYboy rolling in the dough!!! :eek:

We experienced the trouble that fox tails can cause when some got into my horse's hay last year. I have heard this too, about them working into the skin on other animals. They are barbed like hooks and can only go one way.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just read an article about foxtail. I've never had a problem with my dogs that required a vet visit related to foxtail. It sure seems to be a threat to dogs. And I would imagine to wildlife in some areas. Yuck!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's the seed head of a particular type of pasture grasses. Looks something like this:
fl-foxt0.jpg

The barbs are rather microscopic. My horse had them embedded in the flesh inside his mouth and they become inflamed and sore. He wouldn't eat his grain, had to give him senior feed as mash.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've always wondered if those harmless fatty tumors so many dogs get on their bellies are from these foxtails. The body has a way of isolating things like that.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've always wondered if those harmless fatty tumors so many dogs get on their bellies are from these foxtails. The body has a way of isolating things like that.
Harmless? Yes, Bucky had hundreds? of them and seemed to have no problems. At his advanced age, the Vet suggested doing nothing.

CeeCee had one lump on her rear side that the Vet said was just fatty tissue and 'normal' for labs. Because it bothered me more than her, we had it removed. Good thing! The mass had started wrapping itself around muscle and sinew in her hip and leg. For a small fatty lump it took a long incision to get all the tissue out.
CeeCee scar.JPG

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harmless? Yes, Bucky had hundreds? of them and seemed to have no problems. At his advanced age, the Vet suggested doing nothing.

CeeCee had one lump on her rear side that the Vet said was just fatty tissue and 'normal' for labs. Because it bothered me more than her, we had it removed. Good thing! The mass had started wrapping itself around muscle and sinew in her hip and leg. For a small fatty lump it took a long incision to get all the tissue out.View attachment 6160

:ep Oh, the poor baby! That's awful.

Latest posts