Irritated

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is the only place I know where I can vent my frustration :he. So here it goes.

I have a "friend" on facebook who either doesn't understand what it's like to raise their own food or is jealous because monty and I DO raise our own food. When I post a status on my page, he always has something to say about it.
I posted that I was finally starting to get fresh eggs :celebrate, he posts something like go to the store pay 1.69 for a dozen :rant :smack, or .40 cents a can at aldi's for green beans. Why do other people have to try and bring you down for being self sufficient? :smack
I told him I didn't care how much green beans are at aldi's, home grown are better. On the egg comment, I told him I'd be wasting $3.79 in gas to buy eggs at the store when I can save the gas and get them from my back yard for FREE. :thumbsup :plbb

It's no wonder this person and my brother get along so well.......... they are too much a like! Even my brother asked my why I got chickens :somad I told him " because I CAN" and I wont have to buy eggs. I'm just waiting to hear him (my brother ) ask me for a dozen eggs!!!!! :smack

These two guys are going to be the ones who starve to death when food prices are too high and they cant afford to buy it.

Just something I wont understand.

Rant over:D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dew, you just can't fix stupid. Most people today don't want to go to the trouble to raise their own, and may justify that by refusing to acknowledge the obvious benefits of home grown/locally grown. You may never get the last word with this kind of person. YOU know you are doing the right, humane, healthy thing.
BTW, I envy you and Monty j, having such a unified commitment and all the energy to work together.
Don't let those naysayers get you down!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs
I TOATALY get it.
I think that the first thing I actually 'harvested' from my very first garden was a tiny little bitty 2" long carrot. I was so thrilled. My Dad said "Well, now, I guess all those months of work were worth it huh?". :smack

But we're not growing it for them. :D

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well SL, I will admit I never helped MontyJ in the garden until this year. But yes it is nice to be able to work with him in the garden and processing our food.

As for these "people" it just makes me so MAD that they think they know everything but don't have a real "clue" as far as raising their own food!!!! I know I'm getting more for my money by having a garden. I guess what they don't get is the fact that the only thing I will ever have to buy this winter is my meat products and house hold items, like laundry soap, bath tissue, stuff like that. I'll be saving about 100 bucks a month on my food bill.
I guess it's just easy for them to try and bring me down instead of saying "hey great job" what ever.

As for my brother..... when our dad passes away, he wont have a garden, because if my dad doesn't put one in, no one will.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dew, it may be time to unfriend them on facebook and save yourself the frustrations.
And when Bro asks for eggs let him BUY them from you.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Carol!!!!! Get rid of him because he is an idiot and has to be negative towards everything I say. My brother hasn't asked for one egg YET.... but has asked for parts off of my oldsmobile he calls a junk heap.....lol but then he goes out and buys the exact same car down to the color???? oye vey.... what an idiot...

Anyway, I'll take care of the other idiot "friend"
I have told him he is jealous because he doesn't know HOW to raise his own food and be self sufficient like me and Monty. And it gets under his skin that I can have the garden and fresh eggs. Makes me feel a little sorry for him in some ways..... but not many. :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too me it's not just the money saved or spent. I know my hens cost me way more than buying eggs would. And I could certainly buy potatoes cheaper at the store, than putting in an order for the varieties I want to grow.

But NOTHING can match that feeling of well being that I have the knowledge to grow food and tend chickens, and what is put on the table means much more than just food to eat. It's confidence and it's the knowledge that you are in control of what goes into that food.

There's also a quality that you can't attach a dollar sign to. It's being out in the sun and rain, working in the dirt, seeing how this world is so beautifully designed and watching your plants grow and your chickens scratch. You can't buy that and you can't sell it.

So don't let them get you down Dew, in a way you should pity them because they will never be as rich as you.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rant all you want. This is a good place for it. I think we all have acquaintances or relatives like that about something, not always gardening or animals. My sister has driven a wedge between her and the rest of the family because of stuff like that, but a different topic. And shes poisoned her kids against us.

My wife recently started facebook so we could keep up with photos of our granddaughter. She friended a few people shed now like to unfriend but thats hard for her socially.

I kind of like how a friend we were chatting with yesterday does it. She goes on facebook about once every two weeks, looks until shes tire of looking, then comes back in two weeks. Most of the stuff never gets looked at.

I dont have any great words of wisdom, just rant away. From your last post, it sounds like you may not have quite gotten it all out of your system. Keep going. Well listen.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thanks everyone!!!! I know what will happen when Monty sees this post, he will want to know who it is. I'll tell him who this person is, but you just can not fix stupid. It is really a sad situation for this person to not know what it is like to be self sufficient. I love having fresh food that I helped Monty tend to and process. It's a great accomplishment for me to be able to say I helped grow this and preserve it.
That is a feeling this guy will never experience..... ever. What a waste of a life, go to work, come home and sit on his fat !@# all evening???? I guess he is the kind of person who has to make everyone else's life miserable because he doesn't HAVE a life.

What a pitty.

thislebloom, it's not really about the money saved or spent for me either, but think about it this way, if I need eggs for something, I would have to get in the car, drive to town and buy them.... I have the chickens, why would I want to waste the gas for 1.69 when gas here is now 3.79 a gallon? Yes I used to have to do that before getting my chickens, now I see how much I can save in the long run. Home made egg noodles, spaghetti. I'm looking forward to making these things.

He has lived in the world of store bought food his whole life :sick, and has no idea what it's like to open a jar of fresh veggies the way we do. :love
I know he is just being a snob, but he was really starting to get on my last nerve. He is a second cousin, I just met him on the 4th of July (for the first time.) I pretty much told him to his face that he doesn't impress me much..... maybe that's why he's trying to bash me :hu :gig:gig

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think people like to look down their nose at someone for being "country". as if, somehow being dependent on the grocery store for all your food makes you somehow smarter or more sophisticated. to me, they are in fact the opposite. we all know the stories of Katrina, and hurricane sandy, the big earthquakes of the past in calif. etc. those people suffered terribly because there was no open store - no trucks bringing food every day. those of us able to feed ourselves are the better for it on so many levels.
guys like this one would be banging on your door begging when he figured out you were eating and he wasn't. like that country song says "A country boy (girl) can survive". now, I say "country" not really meaning rural. many people know how to grow a lot of food sitting right in the middle of town. "country" is a state of mind. imho

Latest posts