Is anyone else stress gardening?

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, there is always fantasy gardening. Walking down from the backdoor and stepping into a controlled environment filled with plants. Collecting just enough for dinner. Sitting around on the lawn under a tree and enjoying the robins looking for worms. Lilacs. Fruit on the trees and vines. Green beans on their teepees, melons ripened in the sun, ripe tomatoes hidden under their leaves, corn rustling with every breeze ...

Stevie
Fantasy gardening indeed! I sometimes live in fantasy land and even I can't dream THAT big! Although that sounds exactly the way some city folk imagine life to be like, out here in the country.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
To say the least, life has been strange for the last week or so. I went shopping Sunday (the last time I will go for some weeks) and had to visit 3 different stores to get things like milk, butter, and bread. (I found yeast at my local corner store, of all places.) Schools are shut, but also so is every kind of entertainment for two kids. On top of this, knowledge floods out of my son's brain like water through a strainer if he's not working, so letting him slack off for 6 weeks is not an option.

My work is over the internet, and it has picked up dramatically in that week. Everybody want an article written for their blog on covid-19. Everybody. EVERYBODY. They also all want express service which means sometimes I'm up till midnight getting them written, and then cleaning up the chaos of the house, and then tomorrow its back to 6 hours of education.

Today during 'recess' I potted up some tomato starts and got a new bed ready for peas. It was really pleasant to work in the dirt and know that no matter how crazy things get, there'll be a nice salad or a stir-fry in just a few months. Count on it.

View attachment 34702
While potting up the tomatoes, my daughter shoved her way past me into the greenhouse. She's not allowed in there without me, but before I could fetch her out she emerged again with a vile of old seeds in each hand, and marched right back out into the yard. She went out to the old chicken coop, sat down, and started planting. I guess I'll let her do it. Maybe we all need a stress garden.
I really don't know how to answer this question. Let's say that I might be, but I garden when I'm happy, I garden when I'm stressed, I even garden when I'm angry to calm me down.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
To say the least, life has been strange for the last week or so. I went shopping Sunday (the last time I will go for some weeks) and had to visit 3 different stores to get things like milk, butter, and bread. (I found yeast at my local corner store, of all places.) Schools are shut, but also so is every kind of entertainment for two kids. On top of this, knowledge floods out of my son's brain like water through a strainer if he's not working, so letting him slack off for 6 weeks is not an option.

My work is over the internet, and it has picked up dramatically in that week. Everybody want an article written for their blog on covid-19. Everybody. EVERYBODY. They also all want express service which means sometimes I'm up till midnight getting them written, and then cleaning up the chaos of the house, and then tomorrow its back to 6 hours of education.

Today during 'recess' I potted up some tomato starts and got a new bed ready for peas. It was really pleasant to work in the dirt and know that no matter how crazy things get, there'll be a nice salad or a stir-fry in just a few months. Count on it.

View attachment 34702
While potting up the tomatoes, my daughter shoved her way past me into the greenhouse. She's not allowed in there without me, but before I could fetch her out she emerged again with a vile of old seeds in each hand, and marched right back out into the yard. She went out to the old chicken coop, sat down, and started planting. I guess I'll let her do it. Maybe we all need a stress garden.
I really don't know how to answer this question. Let's say that I might be, but I garden when I'm happy, I garden when I'm stressed, I even garden when I'm angry to calm me down.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One thing I found really funny was once lock down was announced, people started buying garden seed. I checked 4 suppliers i have used and all posted on their pages that due to unprecedented demand, delivery may be a little longer than normal...or words to that effect.

Seems like Kiwis are diggin up their back yards to grow vegies.

my stress gardening- planted out my garlic early.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was noticing that there are lots of "sold out" notices in the online catalog of what is primarily a source for herbs.

Two reasons come to mind:

People are taking an interest in home cooking. And, self-medicating is becoming a trend.

Steve

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your kids are adorable! That red hair! I too am stress gardening. Sadly, a late frost wipes out my beans and couple of other things I had tossed in the garden. Oh well, I have more seeds. Seeds are hard to find! I am glad that people are taking an interest in gardening. I wish them all great harvest!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your kids are adorable! That red hair! I too am stress gardening. Sadly, a late frost wipes out my beans and couple of other things I had tossed in the garden. Oh well, I have more seeds. Seeds are hard to find! I am glad that people are taking an interest in gardening. I wish them all great harvest!

I might be a little biased, but I think they're adorable too.

I've also noticed seeds being stripped out, as well as chicks and chick raising essentials. Luckily I have been able to get seeds as I happen to see them.

Things have definitely gotten less stressful here. My son has gotten used to home schooling and is growing exponentially. We got his second 3rd grade resource packet, and it turns out he has developed enough to actually understand it. (He was very behind.)

My new plants are all sprouted, and I'm currently hardening off the largest of the tomatoes, which are over a foot tall. My squash types I'm keeping under a heat lamp and watering with warm water from the fish tanks to hopefully improve their performance outside.

I don't know if I'm less stressed because I have the plants, or because the news has stopped giving me daily updates on how many people have died.

Latest posts