Is celery worth it?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For celery to taste good it needs cool wet weather. In hot weather it gets bitter. There isn't much nourishment in it but it's indispensable in some recipes. Stew just isn't the same without it.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ha! Thanks for the laugh.

I can't accurately answer that since Tendercrisp has a strong flavor to begin with. It was bitter, but I don't know if it was more than usual for that strain.
I was experimenting with growing some celery this summer -- Tendercrisp, to be exact -- and I'm just not sure it's worth the effort for me. Our house can go through a significant amount of celery, so I'm wondering how many plants I would need to grow in order to have it when we wanted (weekly). So, does anyone else out there grow it? And if so then how many plants do you have in the ground?

These guys were replanted after harvesting a few weeks back. I'll get them back in the ground soon. Maybe.
IMAG1081.jpg
If you have trouble with bitter celery you might try Chinese celery. It has a thinner stem but takes more heat without turning bitter. You can also try blanching it. Just cover it with a box or bucket to keep off the sunlight. In just a few days it turns yellow and usually loses the bitter taste. You can cut off as many stems as you want and take off the covering so it turns green again and continues growing.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
/I am no help at all. We certainly do not eat enough to make growing it worthwhile. I just wanted to comment on todays Avatar! Is it in honor of his Grandmother? The longest reigning Queen of England.
Not necessarily in honor of the Queen. I didn't know she is the longest reigning Queen of England. I thought it was time for an avatar change and Prince William's smile looked very pleasant among the tons of smiley avatars Smiles Sr. has tucked away in a file folder on this desktop. That's all.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
At my age I don't sleep for long at a time. Just sleep in fits and starts. Usually nap for an hour or so at mid day.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not been able to buy celery seedlings for a long time-can't find them. I started them for my self this year. The first successful time. I started then very early in my greenhouse. They are now big and lush. I pick off stalks and they seem to keep coming. They are very bitter compared to the store. My grandson LOVES them raw. I do not like them raw at all. But, cooked! They are very strong. Cooked in a soup or stew they are wonderful. Instead of barely being tasted they have a rich full flavor. Not bitter as when raw.

Latest posts