Is chilvalry dead?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok Jared, now go back to new baby. I'm sure your wife thinks you need to do more to help! LOL. Poking the bear. All spouses seem to think other one can do more-at least in this household.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to say, i know i live in a backwater of the country...people still hold doors, happened for me twice yesterday, one a woman one a male construction worker. I am reminded when i travel other places that its not the norm anymore. It is really too bad. :(

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I get up at night with her and my wife will say so if it comes up in conversation. The monitor is on my side of the bed and I get up, change her diaper and bring her to my wife when she's hungry. MUCH easier to do that since a full belly tends to make her go right back to sleep so I take her and she goes back into her room where the crib is. I figure it only fair since I can't do the feedings. Was that way with our first too.

Parenting to us is a team effort and with my schedule I'm home 4-5 days a week (the advantages of working 24hr shifts) I'm there to help. I get more done on that schedule and am able to spend more quality time with my family that way than if I was to work 12 hr shifts or a 9-5 job *shudders* I subscribe to the "It takes two to make them, it takes two to raise them." train of thought.

The one thing I'm guilty of is in the middle of the night on the nights my wife works (she's an RN) and I'm home in my half awake state I tend to leave the recently used bottles in odd places. On the dresser, the night stand, the chair, the steps. I wish I was kidding. My wife can always tell how tired I am by where I leave the bottles.

I do get a lot done on my days off, sometimes its what took priority over other things is where the questions get raised.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm of the generation that still opens doors and offers help to ladies. I think it sometimes depends on how you were raised. Some parents did a good job, others, well, not so much. Maybe it's also today's culture of me first, I don't know. I don't think chivalry is dead, but it sure to seem to be available only in limited quantities these days.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like I said in the beginning I knew many of my friends here at TEG would have done something, not just watched. And Monty you where one I had in mind. :)
It has been a week now. And I have kind of befriended the workmen. All I need is space for me to unload and the hose out of the way. When I start to back in they move to relocate, trucks, wheelbarrows and the hose. :) They also know I will be there at 10:30 and 1:00. And by the end of the week I was able to just pull up and set to work without waiting, everything clear!
Of course I smile and thank anyone I see for having it ready. (You know... sugar and not vinegar.)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Carol I was a very young kid when my mother told me " You catch more flies with sugar then vingar" stayed with my all my life.
Your Mom and Mine :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
But what strikes me odd now is to find out that you catch more fruit flies with vinegar. :lol:

Latest posts