Is it ok to plant one melon?

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes, we have a book on building greenhouses with some good directions for small hoop houses. Will be trying that next year. Wish the soil was better here, I have a small garden and then a couple of raised beds. I think if I had better dirt I would have had better luck, too. Too many rocks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah!

But, you have seen some of my garden soil, Super'!

DSC00309.JPG

I put these things up in the backyard to catch greenhouse overflow in the spring. I HAVE put them in the garden but since my gardens are distant, it is kind of problematic to do so. (You have to imagine this with a stake at each end to gather and tie the plastic to. Then, the plastic is held down on the sides with 2 by 4's. I'm not sure if I've every taken a picture of the homely things once they are fully set up - should be something around here ;) .)

DSC00034.jpg

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSC00042.JPG

from back in April, loaded with flats

I'm not sure, it may not be wide enuf for melons.

In the garden, after the weather has warmed, I have cut big U's in the plastic film. About the size of a volley ball, they allow hot air to escape during the day. Lifting the bundled plastic on the stakes is a good way to ventilate but you have to be there at the right moment to lift it or push it back down. In the picture, the plastic has been lifted just a little.

Steve

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think that would also require me to have FLAT land. :)

My boyfriend is amazing though, I'll just tell him I want it, he can figure it out.

:D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, the minute SuperG mentioned rocky soil- my thoughts turned to your garden! Dh and I were looking at some farmland- and he said he didn't want any part of it, because it was so rocky. I told him about your garden- and assured him, the land we were looking at, was not too rocky. After all, I could see a few flecks of dirt, between the stones! Love to see that hoop house again. It really looks ideal!

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
At least his rocks are small, and he can dig around them. I've got maybe an inch or two of soil in most spots then it turns to huge chunks of slate underneath. It's frustrating because there's only a few spots in my yard where I can put up my wrought iron hummingbird feeder holder.

Oh well, I do the best I can with what I have.

I think next year will be better because I have ducks now... can't wait to use the poopy water to fertilize. Maybe I can overcome the power of the cold and rocks!

Latest posts