Is there a Tree Guide?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about along your streets and in parks, @so lucky ?

Yes, I enjoy a walk, @buckabucka . The arborists I have met or had anything to do with seemed entirely engaged in the "removal" of trees. I wonder if they commonly have any academic training ... maybe so, for insurance purposes.

@thistlebloom 's arboretum was a schoolyard and buildings when I lived in Cd'A. It was sold to the city.
Some of the trees I'm curious about are ones that the school district has planted. I haven't found that the educational system has been very involved in helping us with understanding much about our immediate environment. Oh, what do I know!? It's been years since my kids had anything to do with public education. Silviculture! My brother's college major ... before his career in lumber ...

I feel a little depressed this morning ... must be the season ... and why this interest in trees as their leaves fall and just as they enter dormancy?

:rolleyes:Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a note of encouragement about arborists, there are many out there that are actual arborists with the degrees and certification that qualify the title.
I have been privileged to consult with one in particular, on clients properties, who was also a great educator in a casual sense. I always tried to adjust my schedule so I could walk with him when he came to inspect the trees. He would answer every question in great detail and also volunteer information and tips. He has since retired, but his business has been taken over by another quality guy who used to work for him. He is not as loquacious as his mentor and former boss, but still informative and very knowledgeable. And board certified of course.

There are those that call themselves Arborists, but a chainsaw and a dog in the back of a pickup don't make it so.

Another good place to see named trees would be a large nursery. You could even take a collection of leaves gathered from your neighborhood and have them identified.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've bought a dozen or so trees from a back yard breeder ...er....back yard grower. He's spent 20 years gathering seeds from local Southern Oregon trees and growing them. $5 for the one gallons and $15 for the 5 gal. I bought some buckeye trees. He says they are Ohio Buckeyes, but I'm really hoping that they are Calif buckeyes, as those would do better in our semi arid environment.

I also waiting for several weeks before changing my mind and buying two Amur Maples. They are a pest in many states, but I finally read that they are not (yet?) a problem here in OR.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been pleased with the size, fragrance and beauty of a tree that gets completely outta control in some places.

Shoot, local highway districts have even planted Russian olives along roadways. After I suggested that one to a Utah homeowner, I learned that they are an invasive species in Utah! They take over canyons, crowding out native plants.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been pleased with the size, fragrance and beauty of a tree that gets completely outta control in some places.

Which one? :pop
Invasiveness is largely regional, thankfully. So some of us can enjoy plants that are polite, but may be a nightmare in another gardeners growing conditions.

I like Amur maples @murphysranch . Really nice fall color. Not a problem up here, at least so far as I have observed.
Vine maples have become a real favorite of mine, when grown in full sun they have an exquisite leaf coloration in the summer, which is subtle, but noticeable. In the fall they are glorious. I only have two, but wish I'd known how much I'd love them when I was buying all those tiny trees and shrubs years ago. I would have put a dozen in.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't word that paragraph clearly, @thistlebloom .

:confused:

The entire post was about Russian olive trees.

Are vine maples the same as the native rock maples?

Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our school was lucky that one of our teachers that retired decided to become a master gardener. For her project, she planted bulb and perennial beds in front of the school and along various areas along side the building. Then she photographed and provided all kinds of information about each plant, along with different questions to ask the kids to teach them about growing habits, etc. The school entrance and grounds are very attractive now, and she volunteers her time to maintain it!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A (lifelong) teacher a great benefit to children, the school, and the neighborhood, @buckabucka !

Are vine maples the same as the native rock maples?
To answer that question independently :), I turn to Sibley ...

No. Apparently, there are two maples that are native to the coastal Pacific Northwest. One, Acer glabrum has a range that extends further east, through the Rocky Mountains. Acer circinatum is the Vine Maple.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will add to that just a little, (Wikipedia):

"Acer glabrum var. douglasii (Hook.) Dippel (syn. subsp. douglasii (Hook.) Wesm.; Douglas maple) – Alaska south to Washington and Idaho"

I am unsure what all parenthetical information is but can note that some botanists considered what I call a Rock Maple a subspecies, others a variety. Whatever. It's an unobtrusive small tree or tall bush we might find anywhere in the local forest.

Vine Maple is more tree-like and must be what I see absolutely dominating acres in the Puget Sound area. I imagine that it must be content to live this far inland as long as the soil is kept moist. What I see in lots of yards around here is Acer platanoides (Norway Maple). MUCH larger than these native maples.

Steve

Latest posts