Is This a Good Beginner Recipe?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

No, @seedcorn, Nyboy deserves his own peaches and peach pie is an excellent way to go with them. Not much risk of poisoning since he's having friends help with the cooking.

@Nyboy, you have to realize that you are at least as smart as the average person and that many people make very good pies every day. There is no reason you can't do as well with a little effort. Just go for it!

Don't send me a piece:drool, but do let us know how the adventure ended up.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes! You need peach pie!

Pies are a bit tricky, especially in the heat of summer, but I think you could do it. You'll never learn unless you try! The secret is to chill all of the ingredients first when making the crust and keep the kitchen cool too so that your crust won't come out tough. But I do have a recipe for a pie crust that you really can't mess up and is a lot more forgiving. It always comes out perfectly flaky.

German No-Fail Pie Crust

4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1 3/4 c. shortening (I use Crisco Butter flavor)
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1/2 c. cold water

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening. In a small bowl whisk together the egg, vinegar and water. Drizzle this over the flour and shortening mixture and gently stir with a fork until combined. Divide equally into 4, gently pat into a round shape and roll out as usual. Bake according to directions for chosen filling. Makes 2 double crust pies. Can be kept in the fridge for up to a week.

I know the vinegar sounds weird, but you won't taste it after the pie is baked. I can make regular pie crust too, but I use this recipe instead because it is so good. If you really want to impress your friends, brush the top of your unbaked crust with a little milk, then sprinkle with sugar. Man, now I am craving pie and have no time to bake one! ;)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used journey11's crust recipe and it is delicious. I am a crust person. The pie filling is merely there as a reason to make the crust. If you're game, try it!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I don't like to blanch the peaches in order to peel them. I think it's too much trouble. I just peel them with a paring knife instead. I'm pretty fast! lol

Mary

Latest posts