Is this greenhouse any good?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You can use the daylight color light tubes. 5000 kelvin is daylight basically. Cheap. Visqueen plastic sheet inside and out to trap some air for insulation a little bit. They call them hoop houses. Videos all over youtube. I saw one that tipped up that had no door so that was kinda cool.

Missa@4949

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Douglasville pa beeks county zone 6 I think
You can use the daylight color light tubes. 5000 kelvin is daylight basically. Cheap. Visqueen plastic sheet inside and out to trap some air for insulation a little bit. They call them hoop houses. Videos all over youtube. I saw one that tipped up that had no door so that was kinda cool.
That's neat

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's neat
One caution though. Some lights are made to start in cold temps and some have trouble. You would want something for cold weather and depending on what you decide upon, look a little further into the specifications to determine if they risk not coming on below certain ranges. I know that has been a thing for the flourescent types forever, but so much light has been improved and modernized I am not sure about the products sold today. We just do not get that cold down here, much past 30 anyway on a regular basis.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you ever buy a greenhouse? Look for a small hoop house from some of the big sellers. Greenhouse megastore for one. Not this green one. With white translucent fabric or heavy plastic you will not need lights.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
AGREED!!! Our problem, though I am also zone 6, is that any kind of plastic greenhouse on my property needs a SERIOUS wind blocker. If you live in a suburban area and you have 6 ft tall fencing AND can place it where the wind doesn't hit it AND you can get 6 hrs of sunlight every day, that could work.
If you haven't bought it yet consider starting seeds indoors, even on top of your fridge, then build a few cold frames this summer to extend your season next Fall.
I think if I used this greenhouse it would rip to shreds. It really looks flimsy. I think old clear shower curtains are stronger than this. Btw, THEY would make a nice cover instead of glass for a cold frame.

Last edited:

Latest posts