Is This Rhubarb Or Weed ?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I checked "my" burdock. I have rhubarb with red stems and I have rhubarb with green stems. None of my 4 varieties match the stems in Nyboy's photo as closely as the burdock stems do.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i vote for burdock. i have a large one in my yard behind the coop. you want to cut the flower stalk when it starts to get tall but i think it is biennial. the flowers when they go to seed will form 'burrs' hence the name. they will cling to everything if you brush up against it.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it's yellow dock. Burdock stems aren't that red and the underside of its leaves are fuzzy. Yellow dock leaves, stems and seeds are edible. On burdock, it is the root that is usually eaten as the leaves are bitter unless they're really young. If you want to cut one and taste the stem, it shouldn't hurt you, assuming it is one of those two. There is also curly dock, also edible, but I'm certain it's not that one. There are varieties of rhubarb that have more green to the stem. I don't think it's going to be rhubarb unless someone planted it there on purpose.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never planted it, comes back every year don't remember it flowering. Don't think its Rheum Palmatum which is also called chinese rhubarb according to internet.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Burdock root is commonly used as a vegetable in Japan. I've eaten it when I was there. The taste is good but its kind of fibrous. Good to keep things moving if you know what I mean. ;)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Peeled (a stiff brush will do the job) It is then cut into thin strips 3 or 4 inches long sort of like match sticks and marinated overnight in soy sauce. A light touch of rice vinegar can be added if you wish but go easy on that. After the marinading it is cooked over low heat with only enough water to keep it from burning. It isn't usually a main vegetable. It is eaten on the side as a sort of condiment, especially with fish and rice.

Last edited:

Latest posts