Is This Rhubarb Or Weed ?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like mock orange to me, as well, but wouldn't be a vine. It can be rather loose and free-form or more sedate and bush-like. This one is my free-form mock orange.
08 mock orange.JPG

This mock orange is more tree-like and structured.
mock orange .JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have two rhubarb plants--one piece broke off when I was digging and I moved it and it took. I have been fighting burdock for years. Here is a good way to tell them apart. If you dig down with a spade and hit vegetable type roots, it ISN'T burdock. By the time burdock gets this big it has a big, thick root, usually 3-4 inches in diameter. They are very hard to pull out. Burdock is a 2 year plant. The first year are just the leaves, and the second year it goes to seed. Timing is essential. You can continue to mow down a second year burdock plant and it will still go to seed on schedule, even it's it is short.
Fortunately, burdock was actually grown for the medicinal leaves. They are Good for your skin and it won't hurt you to hand pull...if you can.
I dig and/or use a reciprocating saw to saw them off, then pile them up to dry out and burn.
Other times I use a spade and dig them out.
I'll try to get some pictures up of both of them soon for reference.

Last edited:

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like mock orange to me, as well, but wouldn't be a vine. It can be rather loose and free-form or more sedate and bush-like. This one is my free-form mock orange.View attachment 14026

This mock orange is more tree-like and structured.

The fragrance is not citrus at all just a bit flowery but sure looks like your photos

Latest posts