Issue with pea gravel paths (added update pics)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place for this, but it made sense to me to put it here.

So the issue is...

Over the years my pea gravel paths have been over come with weeds. We'd cleared the grown, laid weed fabric and added a couple of inches of pea gravel to walk along. Today I starting raking up the gravel, and pulling up the fabric. I'm planning on starting again.

My plan is to tap everything down after I dig it up again, then cover in the gravel again and tap that down firm. Hubby is helping me make some square concrete stepping stones to lay over them. Hopefully the weeds will not get so out of control again. This brings up the problem.

All those little rocks are now intermingling with weed seeds!!! I was wondering how to get the seeds in with the rock to not germinate on me after I spread the rock back out. I didn't know what I could do to sterilize the seeds? I was thinking if I soaked it all down with a water a bleach mix that would work, but I'm not sure? I've been loading the rock into a wheel barrow where I would treat it and the rinse it and stack the stone in a pile until I needed it again. Do you think that would work? Or what else can I do? If I do it with the bleach, how long should I let it soak before I rinse and pile it up? I probably have 4-5 wheel barrow's full to move.

Here's my mess (needed a break, back is killing me after everything we got done today):

5842_img00493.jpg

5842_img00494.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What you could do to sterilize the seeds is to use vinegar which I think is safer than bleach to the environment. Or you could pour some boiling water over the rocks that should do the trick. I was even thinking about using any type of weed spray killer. If you want you could put all that gravel in a barrel and let the boiling water soak it for awhile, killing all the seeds. Then you can dump all the water out after it cools.
I'm sure that pathway will look really nice with the gravel. I know how much weeds can be a pain especially in with all those rocks.
Let your back rest and let us know how it goes!

I hope this helps vfem! ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have one of those flame guns for weeds? I forget what the name is, but they hook to a propane tank. I don't recommend using them in the garden, because the heat kills microbes- but on a gravel path, or sidewalk they work great! They sell for under 20 bucks at Harbor Freight. It wouldn't take five minutes to clear those paths of weeds.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I need me a flame thrower!!! :lol:

I've already dug up almost all the rock so far, I was planning on cleaning it and doing the 'killing' of the weed seed outside the garden. I'm really against chemicals in the garden, but since I was just cleaning rock and in the wheel barrow I guess it doesn't matter if I use chemicals since I won't be putting this rock back into the paths for at least a month. I don't have a lot of time on my hands! :/

Wish me luck, the paths used to look so good. I so miss it when it was nice and new. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok adding more pics of the work we did today. All the rock is removed and the nasty useless weed fabric! ARGH! Going to find out how much crushed granite is for this project next. I hope its not expensive... we're BROKE. :p

5842_path1.jpg

5842_path2.jpg

5842_path3.jpg

You can see I pruned back my raspberries as well. OUCH! I hate doing that!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey vfem,
Looking good so far! Do you need any help with removing all those rocks, I don't mind giving you a hand :tools . Try looking for nice rocks/landscaping pebbles at home depot or lowes. I know they have a nice selection there and you can purchase as many bags as you need.
You don't prune the raspberries to the ground? I do.

Can't wait to see the finished project :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those stone paths do look nice- and your gardens always look beautiful...but, if you don't want to spend much you could layer those paths with straw. Still keeps the weeds down and looks somewhat neat. You can always rake it out and put it in the compost pile, when you have the money for stone.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well the good news is that gravel I spent $50 on a few years ago is getting reused. Hubby is helping me make cement stepping stones, he's so good with cement. I'm getting the crushed granite, which looks like sand, and it should be about $20 for 1/2 yard which is about all I need in my pick up truck. (Pick up truck, best investment EVER!)

My back is really hurting though, hubby helps a lot, but in the end I have a heat bad on my back now and taking like 4 motrin every 4 hours. Its going to be awhile before I get back to this project.

Green, I don't prune these all the way to the ground as they're double season producing. They'll develop late spring berries on old canes (only 1 season old, all the rest is dead wood), new canes and shoots will produce berries again in the fall. I don't get as many in the late spring as I do in the fall... but its enough for me and the family to add to breakfast almost daily! I love these long season raspberries. :D

Latest posts