Issue with pea gravel paths (added update pics)

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fire!!!!

Those flame thrower weed dragon things are awesome! I just got one and they are great. LOL

Not that I can catch anything on fire in the middle of a PNW winter, but I'll be putting it to the test this year to burn and clear a gravel drive and turn around that is currently a few dozen tons of weedy gravel. So far, the 20lb propane tank has lasted 4 hours of winter weed burning and still isn't empty.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That flame throwing is on my wish list for my birthday! Whooohoooo

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great idea to reuse the pea gravel. Are you going to pour the stones in place, or pour them and place them later. Sounds like a fun project if your back holds out.

P.S, Oh yeah I have a flame thrower. I love burning every weed I see with it. I bought it at Harber Freight severer years ago think I paid $14 for it. If your back won't take lugging around the propane bottle you can strap it on a small dolly .

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a gravel driveway... And it is now mostly dirt... I need to check the price on getting some gravel. My husband did tell me the gravel is there... I wonder, how hard it would be to bring the gravel to the surface? Woud a pick, shovel and rake work?

Just thinking about it give me a backache! Before I could put down new gravel, I would have to lower the grade of the drive way, or the new gravel would be higher than the sidewalk and the concrete slab in the carport...

I need a small grader, a dump truck, and about six really stong guys to get it all done in a day.

All I need is....

sittinginmoney.gif

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
rebbetzin said:
We have a gravel driveway... And it is now mostly dirt... I need to check the price on getting some gravel. My husband did tell me the gravel is there... I wonder, how hard it would be to bring the gravel to the surface? Woud a pick, shovel and rake work?

Just thinking about it give me a backache! Before I could put down new gravel, I would have to lower the grade of the drive way, or the new gravel would be higher than the sidewalk and the concrete slab in the carport...

I need a small grader, a dump truck, and about six really stong guys to get it all done in a day.

All I need is....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/2011/Email Iconx/sittinginmoney.gif
You have to off set what it will cost to go to the Dr. to fix your back.

1iora

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What about salt?
We had a gravel driveway and I used to throw the leftover ice salt on it right, and sometimes iodized food salt, before it rained. Killed all the weeds.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To sterilize the soil buy Borax soap. The boron in it will kill the microbial action. you might even sprinkle it every year in spring to do it all over!

I like the medium round rock as opposed to pea gravel. It is easy to weed and doesn't disperse quite as much under your feet.

We get weeds that come up through the places where we tacked down our fabric, but whatcha gonna do? I recommend good weed fab or expensive shade cloth which seems to last forever!

Latest posts