It's a Great Big World

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Acrobatics like that guy in black in the first dance video - I would bang my head so hard against the pavement, one of those 2 girls would have to hold me up so I could continue.

The little ones would confuse me with their charm!

Rattling those cans of spay paint and randomly squeezing down on the nozzle would have the paint blowing in all directions! A cloud of colors surrounding me, hallucinogenic fumes, well sure I would be in my own alternative universe from all that! Likely, it would be permanent.

sTeVe

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' Steve, you're a big romantic! :D And as without adventure? But I'm glad that you are considering the possibility of a walk, though so peculiar. This shows that you feel young.

Old age - this is not always merciful lady, but certainly polite. She comes only in those doors that we are ready to open for her.
Just do not open.
wink.gif

In addition, Steve's name (in Russian Stepan) comes from the Greek Stephanos. This means - the crown. Therefore, you can easily overcome such terrible trials as street culture. Then you can briefly look at your alternate universe and dignified return.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would need a crown to do those street dances, @Larisa ! Better yet, a helmet.

The first Christian martyr was Stephen, we are told. Or, he was Stephanos ... in every Christian family there must be people with this name since we are good at celebrating the dead. It's the living that we have so much trouble with ...

Locally, there was once a French Canadian named Etienne LaLiberté. He was fortunate not to have predated the time when the French dropped the "s" in Estienne for Etienne ;). Seems so odd to me since "s" was so important to me as a little kid. You see, until I was 10, I spoke with a lisp... Tho, it was Theve ... imagine a child being asked what his name is and having to give that response ... Worse, my family name also begins with an "S". It was like a curse that I faced every time I met someone new! Theve eTh ... I learned a different way to say it!

Anyway, that French Canadian Etienne LaLiberté: He came down through local history as Steve Liberty. Isn't that great?? He was apparently a wonderful friend to the Coeur d'Alene Indians and fully adopted into their community. I recently learned that he came with the European Americans. I had assumed that he was here with the French Canadians who settled and worked in the fur trade here before the Canadian/US border agreements in the 1850's. No, he was a very young man and involved with his father's trade on the Atlantic Coast. He joined the earliest American government officials arriving in the Pacific NorthWest, probably to serve as a translator for the English-speaking Americans and the French-speaking Canadians, already here. He chose to be with the First People, here for millennia - married and settled among them. Chief Seltice insisted that the government treat him as they would any other Coeur d'Alene. Probably all this reflects some very good sense by all parties involved :). And, he was just lucky to have that name - without any difficult "s" - and lent his family name to a pretty little lake, not far from where I live and where he once lived.

;) digitS'

chefsdreams

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i spent time with Hamonium Mundi (the dalai lama for those of you who have not been properly introduced), and his concept of time goes like this: The Sautrantika school, also known as the "Holders of Discourse," affirms that all phenomena and events exist only in the present moment.
if this is true, steve, your shaman would say that your 'wasted' time fulfilled her...
p.s. the properties of water continually blow me away! :ep

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You seem to be, Richard.

While I'm no good in spoken English! I may really be losing what I have, what with the decades of hearing loss & worsening. It effects my word written choice, memories of tense and spelling, as well! But, the other day I was trying to help someone pronounce something. It was quite comical since the reverse must be true 9 times outta 10. Truthfully, I have no idea how the French pronounce something.

Try Estienne and maybe Stefan. Drop any "ə" sound in Estienne. Soften the "f" ... ;). Nooow, evolve from Estienne to Etienne.

Good Heavens! As much difference as a couple of generations will pronounce and speak from grandparents to grandchildren ... I don't know how we can communicate! Imagine 2,000 years and 100 generations. Even names, etched in Stone, will change. That's probably enormously true with geography considered.

I had the radio up in the pickup in a parking lot yesterday, listening to the BBC news. Ha! It made me feel like a colonial! And yet, George Washington outlining battle tactics might be nearly incomprehensible to me, also.

idjitS' united

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Steven, yes how sounds change with time and distance!
We were in Yerevan and the eastern Armenian, some years ago, some of the written letters were had a different sound.

I have to go check a leak in the washing machine, I want to know something more I'll PM!

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Larisa funny the artist with spray paint did NYC you can see empire state building twin towers ( before 911) and George Washington brigde

Yeah? Wow.
ff%20(7).gif
Perhaps this is a case where the "art knows no boundaries!"

I have a good ear, but I find it difficult to translate English, if someone speaks quickly and indistinctly. One day me and my youngest son flew home from Turkey. The Turkish airport forbidden to take bottled water. As I showed our papers, son hovered nearby. Suddenly I heard a customs officer something strictly tells me and shows of son. I looked up and saw with horror that he overcame a customs barrier, and in his hands he holds 2 bottles of water.
I actually stopped to savvy what he was saying. In addition, the Turks spoke poor English. He asked me something. I did not understand - what it was, but decided on any question to answer "yes" in a firm voice. So he pointed to my son, and I replied "yes." For me, forever remains a mystery, what we talked about with him. But we have become some reason - the only passengers, who were allowed to go through with the water. :D

By the way, Steve, maybe it not was in the US, when you were little. But the defects pronunciation we correct in children from five years old. My youngest had a complex speech disorder. We could not understand what he says. In five years, he worked with me under the guidance of an experienced speech therapist. 20-30 minutes each day. We dealt with it . He spoke almost good in 7 years.