It's almost the same...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate to disagree with you Marshall, as I value your knowledge. It looks like my biggest nemesis CHICK WEED!!!!!!!It stays green through the coldest winter chickens love it, my horses love it. But it spreads like crazy. I have a small daylily farm and I spend most of my time pulling it. It is relatively easy to pull out. I load it into the wheel barrow and feed it to my horses. The plant makes huge clumps, so pulling one plant does give you a lot of weeding satisfaction. I have spread it all over my property with my tiller. If you till it in every little sprig of plant regrows. Even when I weed it by hand I have to pluck every tiny bit that breaks off or it will grow. It sprouts in my veggie garden. The chickens spend the winter in the enclosed garden and they seem to be able to control it's spread. It is edible as a salad green. I was told it was brought here by early settlers. Get rid of it or you will be sorry!!!!!!
bobm said:
marshallsmyth said:
That is Dichondra!

Some folks plant it as a lawn that is hardly ever walked on, but looks splendid.

It is also planted between steps on garden paths.

The flowers look like miniature Morning Glory flowers, pale and wild looking, tiny.

Mostly it is a favored plant in retired person's cottage gardens. Some families have a cherished patch from a grandmother's house.
Sorry Marshall... definately NOT Dichondra... looks nothing like my 100% Dichondra lawn that I planted at our first house in Cal. :mow

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't mind it at all, I much prefer it to all the other weeds in the garden and the danged grass. Plus, it's really pretty!

Thanks for the ID!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya know, I guess that can be chickweed.

I'm not gonna stick with being wrong :p That's chickweed, especially if those flowers have a bunch of teeny petals instead of a few wide petals.

I'm wrong. It's chickweed. Time for another cup of coffee for me...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hahahahahah You are funny. If you google chickweed images it is very interesting that it can look quite different in different locals. I wish I did not know what it looks like!
marshallsmyth said:
Ya know, I guess that can be chickweed.

I'm not gonna stick with being wrong :p That's chickweed, especially if those flowers have a bunch of teeny petals instead of a few wide petals.

I'm wrong. It's chickweed. Time for another cup of coffee for me...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya gotta admit it can look kind of like Dichondria if your eyes aren't clear. Dichondria is prettier and comes in silver forms too.

Latest posts