It's difficult for me to believe ...

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a youngster I was in a garden almost all the time when it was the season. My grandmother gave me a T-shirt that read Farming feels good, another one that read
I’m just a human bean. She passed when I was 12 but I still remember being in the garden with her. Gardening connects people from the past and also present, puts you in touch with yourself, and calms the soul. I’m happy you are all here to talk garden or whatever whenever.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my garden is well ordered, it gives me peace. This season the garden is jumbled, weedy and not very productive. Seems to match the general feeling of my life right now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't keep up. Only because 2019 weather has been on a seesaw has production not become a burden. Weeds are doing fine and expanding the big garden this year was nutz. Production will catch up to the weeds at some point ...

My first memories were in a garden, at my grandmother's little farm in California's Central Valley. What wasn't a small pasture, wasn't flower and vegetable gardens, was a little oak forest. My grandmother had no lawn :). Only 3 and 4 years old when we lived there, I quickly learned my way around and still seem to have clear memories.

@Zeedman , I came across this photo online from the UCal museum. Here's what I wrote on TEG: "That is a Yurok Indian in a dugout canoe at Stone Lagoon. Less than 50 years later, it might have been a picture of ME there in a similar boat!

It's now been over 50 years since I camped and fished at Stone Lagoon ..."

i0006714a-jpg.24467

coastal northern California

:) Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
re acorns, some time ago i learned of different acorns which are more edible, but i have no direct experience of them, but the following info does get my curiousity going...

from Cooks Info:

"
You are here: Home / Nuts / Acorns
Acorns
Acorns are nuts from oak trees.
There are really, from a food aspect, two types of acorns: Spanish and North African acorns, and all the rest.

The acorns most worth bothering with are considered to be those of the oak tree known variously as holly, holm or ilex oak (Quercus ilex var rotundifolia — aka var ballota) which grows all around the Mediterranean, including particularly north-west Africa, Spain and Portugal. These are long, cylindrical acorns. When fine Spanish ham makers boast about their pigs being allowed to eat acorns, you may have wondered why eating those bitter old things would improve the taste of their meat. It is in fact these nuts, which the Spanish call “ballotas”, that the pigs eat. In some parts of Europe, pigs still allowed to room the woods and eat these acorns; a pig will eat 22 to 26 pounds (10 to 12 kg) of the nuts a day.

These trees are even cultivated for their acorns, and some think them as good as chestnuts. These would have been the ones that a Duchess (in Don Quixote) would have bothered asking for. They can be eaten out of hand like nuts (once shelled, of course.) In Spain, the acorn season is called “montanera.” "

https://www.cooksinfo.com/acorns

what makes me curious is why they haven't been spread more around the world to other similar areas as where they are grown now if they are that useful and edible?

climate perhaps, but ...? any tree similar to chestnut that is edible would be a great addition to any forest and as with the loss of the chestnut trees in the USoA a lot of the easily edible forest mast production was gone. a lot of people used to let their pigs go in the woods and then retrieve them for easy meat production. i mean, you don't have to cultivate or irrigate a forest tree like that. it's like manna...

well, in further reading down that page you find there are others considered more edible...

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just laughing with my DD on the phone today. I asked her if I should bring up my gardening tools since I'm going up to Vancouver on Saturday to visit her and the Grands. I took pics of some of my battery tools and asked what shall I bring? She said what are they? What do they do? Ah, I said, the fruit of my body and my blood and she has no idea of what a hedger, string trimmer, expanding lopper, and blower are. Oh and DD, I'm bringing you extra RoundUp, extra rose fertilizer (my roses need fertilizing she asks), and some Crossbow for the wild blackberries. HUH? She's 33 and will never be me....

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rhode, I so can relate to you. My 31 yr old daughter is clueless when it comes to gardening. I too take my gardening tools when I visit her.

She kept asking me how much water to give her plants and I tried to explain how to water and how much. Finally in exasperation I told her to fill up a 5 gallon bucket of water and dump it on each plant! She said that would take a long time since we planted 24 plants! Haha

Mary