It's official

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't get me started on misbehaved kids at stores. I'm always telling my husband that I hoped the kidsgets hurt! It's not that I'm mean it's just that sometimes that's the only way they learn. My preschoolers know that I have zero tolerance for drama here.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DH's usual response to a boo-boo is "come here, let me flick it." My girls are pretty tough though, don't do a lot of crying unless it really hurt.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had my grandkids at a McDonalds indoor playground a couple years ago where they were playing happily for a short while. then one of them came to me and said "Grandma, somebody pooped up there."
We all decided they shouldn't be playing there that day.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was at McDonalds one time, I had just taken my cpr and first aid exam. There was this little kid running around not being watched, she tripped and fell. She hit her head on the corner of one of the chairs busted her head open over her eye. I grabbed my phone called 911 and proceeded to assist the people who were freaking out. I told them to keep pressure on the wound until the EMS got there..... what do they do???? Ignore me. I told them I just passed my first aid class but didn't have my card yet. Every time they pulled to paper towel away from the wound it would start bleeding again....and they would panic. FInally I asked to see the little girl and kept pressure on the wound. After the adults calmed down I was able to comfort the little girl. Because the grandma and mom were flipping out so was the kid. When she seen I wasn't up set she calmed down right away.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was at McDonalds one time, I had just taken my cpr and first aid exam. There was this little kid running around not being watched, she tripped and fell. She hit her head on the corner of one of the chairs busted her head open over her eye. I grabbed my phone called 911 and proceeded to assist the people who were freaking out. I told them to keep pressure on the wound until the EMS got there..... what do they do???? Ignore me. I told them I just passed my first aid class but didn't have my card yet. Every time they pulled to paper towel away from the wound it would start bleeding again....and they would panic. FInally I asked to see the little girl and kept pressure on the wound. After the adults calmed down I was able to comfort the little girl. Because the grandma and mom were flipping out so was the kid. When she seen I wasn't up set she calmed down right away.
Good for You Dew. Calm is always the way to react in an emergency. Panic later!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know it's the teacher in me, but I do speak up when I see kids running through the store, racing carts, etc. I usually speak to the child, not the parent, and express only my concern that they might hurt themselves or others. Never that they are doing something wrong. Then I explain why I am worried about them. I have had a few older children walk away, but most of them do change their actions -- or at least don't do them where I can see.

Most children really want to be recognized for good behavior. Some just don't have parents who expect good behavior.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Many years ago we were at a pig roast at a friends house. There was a huge hill with a ramp at the bottom where some of the guys were riding their quads down and jumping the ramp. Somehow, one of our daughters drug a big wheel to the top of that hill, and before anyone could stop her, down she came, mach one, feet in the air, hair flying. She hit the ramp going full tilt boogie. She went one way, big wheel went the other. She hit the ground sliding and tumbling 20 feet. I knew this was going to be a trip to the ER. But, she stood up, looked around as if trying to figure out what happened, and grabbed her big wheel and started back up the hill, scrapes, bruises and all. I stopped her, of course. She never shed a tear from what must have stung like heck. Had someone panicked, she probably would have bawled.
The guys were all giving her a pat on the back for the best jump so far...LOL

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tough kid @MontyJ !

One of my little favorite neighbor girls, a horse crazed 6 year old loves to come over and clean pens and groom the horses. She talked me into (I know, blame a kid for influencing a "mature" adult :rolleyes:) letting her ride the mini horse, who to my knowledge had never had anyone on his back.

One success led to another and as she rode him around the corral by herself one afternoon the little bugger crow hopped and off she flew. She was doing her usual non stop chattering as she hit the ground, and even though her eyes misted up a bit she jumped back on him.
She never even missed a sentence between sailing through the air and climbing back aboard, just a small pause as she caught her breath.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember breaking a pony to ride as a kid. I did all the normal things, putting a blanket, then saddle on it. Leaning on its back, putting weight and getting it used to being handled. The first time I hopped on, bareback, she took off running and scraped me off under an apple tree.

I collected her, took her to a fairly steep hillside in the pasture field, and pointed her uphill on a trail. When I hopped on she started running uphill, but that did not last long. After that she was pretty much broken to ride. I was probably 12 when this happened.